Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,419   Online: 857

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim68134
    Don,

I thought I had read it in an article in Photo Techniques several years ago, but now I can't find it.
    I am pretty sure it was Brett, but I may be confusing it with someone else. Perhaps Michael Smith can clarify when he gets a chance.

I have not used one and your mention of it was the only other time I have heard of the device.

I have used spottone on occaision in experiments but have yet to get consistent results. Usually I use a very dilute solution and build up the density of the area, but I have not done enough to be able to make a good estimate of the effect when printing.
    Jim,

The Veronica Cass dyes are better in my estimation then the materials from Retouch Methods (makers of Spottone). Retouch had a kit several years ago that included dyes that were different then conventional Spottone. I used those dyes initially but later ordered the VC dyes after good guidance from Blansky.

I heard the other day that Spottone was out of business. I haven't verified that information but it was reported in a couple of places.

I had the opportunity to spend a half day with Nick Orzio, one of General MacArthur's photographers, while I was studying retouching in Florida.

A dodging trick he has, is to build a bracket down from the negative carrier platform on each side. He made it adjustable so it could go down to something like 8 inches.

I think he screwed two brackets, on each side, close to the corners of the negative platform. On the bottom of the bracket, it was bent to a 90 degree for about an inch or so, inwards.

When he is dodging long exposures he lays a piece of glass onto the 90 degree corners, and lays home made dodging devices on the glass to block the exposure.

To describe it better, all exposures have to also go through the glass to get to the paper. He has devised a system so that he can block exposure to areas of the prints, hands free, allowing different and many areas to be manipulated at one time.

I haven't done this yet but I thought it rather ingenious.

Michael McBlane

A transparent red dye, 'cochineal red'

http://www.texasindians.com/coch1.htm

can be applied to negatives to lighten areas on the print.

The book "Lootens on Photographic Enlarging and Print Quality" devotes an entire chapter to the method. He refers to the dye as 'New Coccine'. Having read the book when I was ten years old I thought to try the stuff - at dinner I announced that I needed some cocaine, and did they think I could get this cocaine at the drugstore.

I recommend Lootens' book, it is out of print but is available at any used bookstore worth it's stuff will have a copy, prices start at $1.25. A good net source is abebooks.com. I think even amazon.com lists used copies.

The dye is commonly used as food coloring:

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecf...no/v12je13.htm

I beleive 'Dyene Red Negative Retoucher' is the same stuff, though I have no proof that it is.

And advantage of doing tone adjustment this way is that one doesn't have to go through a big dodge & burn dance for every print. Or to have to try and do the same dance a year later...
    Nicholas O. Lindan
    f-stop enlarging timer - http://www.nolindan.com/da/fstop/index.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading Les's method, my wife's craft scissors that cut a zig zag line are starting to look very handy!! I've always hated the time it takes to "roughen" the edges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    Reading Les's method, my wife's craft scissors that cut a zig zag line are starting to look very handy!! I've always hated the time it takes to "roughen" the edges.
    You would use expensive pinking shears to cut paper? When you do that, I suggest either buying her a new pair, or running for your life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    You're referring to pinking shears, and lord help you if your wife catches you cutting paper with fabric scissors :x

My wife is a quilter, and trust me, I know which scissors to use, and which ones to avoid. The wrath, oh the wrath....

That said, they would be perfect for cutting out rough shapes for print manipulation...
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh come now, go out to Wal mart and buy you a pair of pinking shears of your own. The wife will be very happy for your thoughtfulness. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    with card making all the rage, you might find some bagains to be had... For XMAS I bought 2 pairs for my wife (from our boys) and they were a buck each (that's Aussie bucks too! 75cents to you Yanks) She liked them vey much, but I had to tell her just how little I paid cause it was such a bargain

Since she uses them for card-making, I can't see any problem with borrowing them for my darkroom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin