Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,038   Posts: 1,560,672   Online: 989

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually did a how-to video for my filmmaking class. It was a video about how to make a continuous lighting light stand out of stuff from a hardware store. The video was very last minute and not very good. Actually, the only thing not good was the lighting, ironically. I had intended to use the light stand to light the inside shots of the video I originally intended to do (an Orange Crush commercial), but all of my actors dropped out at the last minute, so I was stuck using the light from the celing fan.

If I can get around to it this semester, I might can get permission to use my school's tv studio (yes, we actually have a sequence of tv-production classes and a tv studio) and reshoot the video if this APUG how-to video thing ever gets off the ground.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Who knows, maybe your how to make a light stand video can encourage others to try their hand as well. There is no organized effort at the moment, just some conversation about what might be done and the hope the idea catches on.

If videos do get made, perhaps we could add a video category to the "Articles" page for posting links to posted videos.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eli griggs View Post
    Who knows, maybe your how to make a light stand video can encourage others to try their hand as well. There is no organized effort at the moment, just some conversation about what might be done and the hope the idea catches on.

If videos do get made, perhaps we could add a video category to the "Articles" page for posting links to posted videos.
    I wouldnt mind remaking the video. I'm actually very unhappy with it. not only did my actors drop out at the last minute, that was my first attempt at making a video of any kind. If I can gather enough volunteers to reshoot it, I'd be happy to. It might be a few months or even the summer before I can get to it, though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps some simple articles with parallel videos would be a good start?

What sort of articles do you want to see?
    It would be nice if the articles section could contain PDF documents. That would give the creator freedom to add images and/or diagrams as needed. Links to videos hosted on Youtube could be included as needed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I like working with PDFs and usually save web info by choosing "Print" - "Save as PDF"; it's a lot easer for me to keep track of a PDF than most other file types. I also like that the excellent and free Openoffice.org software will allow you to create PDFs; does Adobe still charge for their PDF creation software?

Just who do we ask on APUG to make the changes to the Articles page to accommodate these suggested changes?

On the video front, I might be able to do a short bit on opening and modifying a Luna Pro SBC with a diode to use SR-44 batteries. I have to do this to my meter and it is a popular subject over on RangeFinderForum, where there are good stills and instructions on doing this. I just wish I had a second meter to do a dry run with; improv is not my strong suit... come to think about it, neither is soldering ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of all the good things the internet has brought us, the rising expectation to get everything for free is not one of them.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...Just who do we ask on APUG to make the changes to the Articles page to accommodate these suggested changes?...
    Just a hunch, maybe the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page? Seems logical to me...

Here's my take on this thread so far. It seems that there are some people that want everything handed to them without having to pay for anything. There are quite a few photographers that make a good portion of their income from teaching workshops. Yes workshops can be expensive, but most times, they're worth it. I don't see how someone who makes their living from teaching workshops, selling their books, etc... can be expected to create videos and disseminate them for free.
    Last edited by Travis Nunn; 01-28-2009 at 01:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    There are some already available. JBrunner, one of the moderators here, has set up some videos on YouTube about film developing.
    Yes! His videos pushed me over the edge to get me to start processing my own film and now my wife laments how I take over the dining room, the kitchen, the spare bathroom!

I think these videos are invaluable and, for me anyway, have been most instructional on how to get into analog photography (coming from a Weyland-Yutani Whizbanger ABC123 with the high pass demodulator). I would certainly like to see more.

Some more things I'd like to see:
    * More complete introduction to view cameras, including press cameras.
    * More in-depth introduction to movements on a view camera.
    * Enlarging process.
    * Introductions to lesser-known camera types. How many of the Xbox age know what a rangefinder is? A folder? Many who see me on walkabouts with my TLR think that it's some kind of an analog movie camera.

And remember to tag your videos as "APUG" to make them easier for us novices to find!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd like to see a video on reversal processing of black and white film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    Here's my take on this thread so far. It seems that there are some people that want everything handed to them without having to pay for anything. There are quite a few photographers that make a good portion of their income from teaching workshops. Yes workshops can be expensive, but most times, they're worth it. I don't see how someone who makes their living from teaching workshops, selling their books, etc... can be expected to create videos and disseminate them for free.

Workshops make sense for those of us who derive income from our photography.

Quite a lot of us do this because we love it, and while workshops might be nice, how many hobbyists have the discretionary spending and vacation time to burn on these things regularly?

For us hobbyists, the Youtube videos are great. They are by no means comprehensive. But sometimes they are "just enough" to set someone down the right path.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin