Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,806   Online: 817

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

APUG - Youtube how-to videos needed?

Often times we see requests on how-to here at APUG and I want to ask if there are people here that are willing to put together basic and advanced how-to videos to post under a common APUG banner on Youtube for download?

What I'm thinking about is starting with darkroom, for example, bulk-film loading, basic b&w small tank development, compounding a solution, etc, on through advanced techniques in a 'one-point lesson' format.

Other topics such as building a 'table-top studio', the proper loading and unloading sheet film holders, to how to make an incidental light meter reading would also be important; things many of us take for granted can be real puzzlers to others that have no mentor to learn from. While a million books are out there with gazillion tips how to do these things, many people will never read them, looking to the web for instruction.

With all the talent on this site, I'm reasonably sure there are plenty of folks here that can pick out some subject that they feel can be of help to fellow photographers newbies and old timers as well.

Eli
    Last edited by eli griggs; 01-25-2009 at 09:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some already available. JBrunner, one of the moderators here, has set up some videos on YouTube about film developing.

Not saying 'don't pursue'!. It's always interesting to see and learn from how other people get from A to B. It's bound to be different from your own approach.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you ever check www.FotoTV.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by eli griggs View Post
    Often times we see requests on how-to here at APUG and I want to ask if there are people here that are willing to put together basic and advanced how-to videos to post under a common APUG banner on Youtube for download?

What I'm thinking about is starting with darkroom, for example, bulk-film loading, basic b&w small tank development, compounding a solution, etc, on through advanced techniques in a 'one-point lesson' format.

Other topics such as building a 'table-top studio', the proper loading and unloading sheet film holders, to how to make an incidental light meter reading would also be important; things many of us take for granted can be real puzzlers to others that have no mentor to learn from. While a million books are out there with gazillion tips how to do these things, many people will never read them, looking to the web for instruction.

With all the talent on this site, I'm reasonably sure there are plenty of folks here that can pick out some subject that they feel can be of help to fellow photographers newbies and old timers as well.

Eli
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the links. Unless I'm mistaken, these look to be commercial concerns and I'm thinking more of a free and 'open source' type approach.

While not a photographer, one craftsman I can point to is potter Simon Leach, who has about 360 quality videos on Youtube sharing his craft.

The free exchange of information by artists and craftsmen and women on the web benifits us all and a comprehensive collection of quality videos by APUG members sharing their best would only futher the interest of APUG and analog photographers in general.

Cheers
    Last edited by eli griggs; 01-26-2009 at 04:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eli griggs View Post
    ... a comprehensive collection of quality videos by APUG members sharing their best would only futher the interest of APUG and analog photographers in general.
    Maybe.

"Quality" is (to me) the big variable. Making a quality instructional video (much less a comprehensive collection) is not a trivial pursuit. Who has the time and resources? There is a reason most such things are available for sale and not for free. It's not just greed or selfishness.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    David, my apologies if I've not been clear on this; I'm not suggesting any one person attempt to put together an entire collection, rather, given the number of skilled members here, those with an inclination to do so, could contribute small videos as they see fit, on subjects that they are well acquainted and wish to share.

I singled out potter Simon Leach, not because it is a collection from a single person but because of the great depth of knowledge on a single subject being shared by one person in an open format freely.

There are many such persons working in todays arts and crafts, freely sharing their knowledge online in self-made videos and I think that with all the talented members here, enough interest can be generated to make a real contribution to the body of useful photo-related information out there, using APUG as a sort of common banner, so it stands out from the work of others. At the very least, such a collection will be easy to reference when trying to explain covered topics to new users.

Having said that, I will say that I don't view efforts to generate an income by others as selfishness or greed, those enterprises are simply other than what I have in mind when I broached the subject.

Eli

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I have about thirteen videos on Youtube of varying usefulness. You can navigate to them from my signature, and they are free. The Intro to the Darkroom DVD I sell simply because it was totally impractical to spread 82 minutes of material on one subject over 9 Youtube videos, and because of the time and effort that went in to even that meager production. I'm certainly not getting rich on it, but it helps people, and will help fund time for and production of other DVDs. As David said, doing something right takes time and money. Doing it on a shoestring takes even more time. I was taught early on "fast, cheap, or good, pick any two at the exclusion of the third. I'd rather do something worth while, that's worth it to someone to pay for. Most of the stuff (there are exceptions) on film subjects on Youtube is worthless, or worse yet, incorrect.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, I will agree that there is a need for quality videos on Youtube covering photo-related subjects, that is after all, why I felt the need to raise the question, however, my experience has been, having interest in several mediums and subjects, that there are people out there with minimal equipment putting out excellent work in those fields in which they work and play.

I will make no claims to universally high production values, but studio lighting, trained crews or HD cameras really aren't necessary in most cases to convey an idea or technique effectively or in a competent manor.

And, of course, a lack of quality information online today is no hindrance to those whom feel compelled to try their arm tomorrow, undaunted by any perceived lack of equipment, we can only wait and see what they have to offer and if it is of any value to others.

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although "a picture can be worth a thousand words," sometimes "a word can be worth a thousand frames of YouTube video." It would be nice to see more articles in the "ARTICLES" section of this forum.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Perhaps some simple articles with parallel videos would be a good start?

What sort of articles do you want to see?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin