Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,936   Online: 1065

Shooter
    Medium Format

LED Coldlight Head by Heiland Splitgrade

I am a happy user of Heiland Splitgrade system (for a V35) and I would like to add an enlarger to the system, dedicated to medium format. I came upon this product researching coldlights. Any users of the Heiland LED coldlight head out there? Opinions?

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use now for about one year a LED Coldlight unit from Heiland on a Durst M805. At the same time I can switch over the Heiland controller to my 4*5 LPL/Saunders enlarger fitted with a "normal" Heiland Splitgrade unit. And with both systems I am completely satisfied.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hka View Post
    I use now for about one year a LED Coldlight unit from Heiland on a Durst M805. At the same time I can switch over the Heiland controller to my 4*5 LPL/Saunders enlarger fitted with a "normal" Heiland Splitgrade unit. And with both systems I am completely satisfied.
    Thanks HKA.

You mention that you use it with a M805. There is a Durst M805 color (with color head) available locally that I am considering. How does the LED head get installed?

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The upper part of the enlager (say the lamphouse with filters) is removed and you get a nice black anodised aluminium house with the LED Coldlight unit back from Heiland. It fits perfectly, just tighten the two screws and ready. BTW you don't need a M805 color an M805 B&W is also useable. I modified the last one because I want not mis the condensorsystem. The LED Coldlight module is fixed above the condensor. By the colorsystem you have instead of the condensor a diffusor mixing box. I don't now if they are interchangeable. Maybe some others who read this can tell you that.
    harry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Harry, the idea of using a diffuse light source with condensors sounds unusual to me - I thought condensors generally used bulbs and were calculated to collect light from more or less a point, whereby the cold light unit from Heiland is diffuse. What are the advantages of this kind of 'mixed' set up?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
    Hi Harry, the idea of using a diffuse light source with condensors sounds unusual to me - I thought condensors generally used bulbs and were calculated to collect light from more or less a point, whereby the cold light unit from Heiland is diffuse. What are the advantages of this kind of 'mixed' set up?
    I have printed on a Durst L1840 that used an Aristo 12-inch cold light unit over two Durst 380 condensers (the largest condensers, generally used for 8x10 negatives). It printed with a slightly harder look than the Aristo would print if in it’s normal position just above the negative, but not as hard a look as if printing only with the condensers. It was a very subtle look, but I could tell a difference, even printing with VC paper. I only used this for 8x10 and 5x7 negs, but I suspect the results would be similar for smaller negs.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    @hal9000
    "resummerfields" conclusion is the reason why I have done this. Pin sharp prints and I like the Calliereffect that's still (partially) there.
    harry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It was a lucky happenstance that HKA responded to my inquiry. I was interested in using a Durst M805, in particular, because module for the mixing box (color and multigraph version) or condenser(s) are separately mounted below the head unit that houses the filtration/illumination system. With M805 (and apparently HKA's L1200), the head unit is replaced with the new LED head giving a unique option using either a diffused mixing box or condenser with a coldlight source.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW the service from Heiland is outstanding. I just recieved my updated M805 LED Coldlight head back from them. The modification includes a new variable power adapter meaning that you can change the amount of light with maximum -2 f-stops to avoid to short exposure times. Some papers are very sensitive like the Kentmere. On the other hand Heiland also build in an kind of boost function to do the same in the opposite direction. The settings can be made in the menus at the Controller. I think, but I am not sure, that these modifications are now standard. Ask mr. Jurgen Heiland he is a very nice person to talk with.
    harry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
    I thought condensors generally used bulbs and were calculated to collect light from more or less a point
    All condenser systems use a diffuse source in the form of an opal enlarging lamp. The condensers 'image' the lamp on the back of the enlarging lens. The proper term for these systems is semi-diffuse.

True condenser/point source light sources are rare. Since they image a point the light going through the negative is collimated. There is only one light ray going through any point on the negative -- this requires the lens be to be used wide open. If the lens is stopped down the image is vignetted as the rays going through the perimeter of the negative are blocked by the diaphragm. They also need to be focused as the enlarger is focused.

Condensers are designed so the image of the light source that they project is as fuzzy as possible: all bokeh, no detail.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin