Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,671   Posts: 1,669,047   Online: 1168

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

8x10 mystery enlarger

Hey gang,

I have this 8x10 enlarger sitting in the back room here at school just waiting to be re-installed. It was at one point being used, don't know when or by whom. But...I think all the parts are here. I haven't found a negative holder though, but I think I know where one might be hidden away.

Anyway, I was getting ready to put it back up and start printing, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any info on this thing. I think it'll be about 8 feet tall when it's all put together...maybe taller.

I have a Schneider 300 5.6 lens to put on it too. Now to shoot some negs and buy some big paper...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It is an Elwood.
    The negative carrier is wooden and has a piece, or possibly 2 pieces, of glass to carry the negative. Be sure you have the diffusing glass in place, or use opal or milky plex as diffusion.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't have a manual, here is some info on the 5x7 version : http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/elwood_1.html

Nice to see another 8x10 enlarger getting back in action.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yup, Elwood. Let me know if you need any help. I have a few 8x10's I'd like a crack at on an enlarger. I could bring that sink up too.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jason,

Yeah, it'd be fun to have an 8x10 enlarging day every now and then. We could invite some of the local 8x10 shooters to come and just print a few to see how they look.

Sink! Ack! I'd totally forgotten. We should talk soon-ish...

I'll be up in Park City at the Kimball Arts Center that night if you happen to be heading up.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It is indeed an Elwood. I've got one, and the neagtive holders are most certainly not wood. They're not steel, but they're not wood. Aluminum or magnesium I believe. There's a suitable manual to be found in the mentioned link. If you've got any questions on the unit, I've got one in good shape that I can poke around on and get an answer for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finally figured out why it looks so funny in those pictures; its upside down.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have a 4x5 version of what looks exactly like this in my garage. The negative holder and a lot of the parts are a pressed wood sort of stuff. I have been slowly cannibalizing the thing for other projects, and the light dome on top is one of the coolest parts. Mine is about 18 inches in diameter and what looks like silver plated inside. There are metal blades that go into the negative holder to crop the negative also.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pics please! I haven't found my negative carrier or the plexi diffusion panel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael.
    I have the wall mounted version of the same enlarger. If you want to take a look at it let me know. The neg carriers are aluminum but could be made out of wood if you can't find one. If you are talking about the Watterford School, I am just 2 miles from you.

Jason.
    Mine is up and running if you want a crack at it.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin