Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,441   Online: 1052

Shooter
    Multi Format

need your advice on an enlarger

hello, everybody... i think this is my first post here, although im always reading and consulting the APUG database.

ive found here near me someone selling an opemus 6x6 (looks like a IIa, judjing from the meopta website). maybe it will be my first enlarger!

i know it is dusty but other than that, it seems like a good enlarger.good shape, the guy took good care of it...

problem is that i dont know much about this kind of business.

i liked it because it suits me well with both 6x6 and 35mm holders. also the meopta 75mm lens appears to be decent... a good start, dont you think?

im having problems finding the manual for it in english. ive found the german and the french versions, but... what to do?

well... ill decide about it on monday. hope i can find lots of information during the weekend.

thank you a lot!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For not much money, a used Beseler 23C is a classic work horse.

Why do you need a manuel for an enlarger. They are all basically a camera in reverse – a large projector.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Meopta enlargers have always represented good value; but as stated, enlargers are pretty cheap these days, so don't spend too much money on any enlarger..
    And Welcome!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing to consider when purchasing a used enlarger is the negative carriers and lens carriers. While enlargers are cheap, it's somewhat surprising how much negative carriers and lensboards can cost. Plus the difficulty in finding them. So best to find an enlarger with the ones you need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    For not much money, a used Beseler 23C is a classic work horse.
    In Brazil?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    In Brazil?
    exactly... i've never found a beseler on our ebay (mercadolivre.com.br)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Durst also makes very good enlargers. There should be plenty around in most parts of the world (even though I cannot find any on mercadolivre at present). The ones which would suit you should be something like a M600 ... 601 ... 605. Good sturdy machines.

//Bjrn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only draw back for me has been that where I live in the USA parts were spotty to find so it took a while to find all the negative carriers and lens mounts for 110, 35mm and 6x6 CM I may even have the 126 carrier.
    They are out there but not as common as Bessler and Omega here in the USA. I mention lens mounts because you really do need the different depth lens mounts for the different lenses or you will have difficulty getting the right projected image size this goes for all enlargers. So while modern enlarging lenses are universal the lens mounts and negative / slide carriers are not. I have had great service from My Durst.
    Jay

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Meopta made good sensible enlargers - nothing fancy but good solid reliable enlargers.

There are plenty of spares around for Meopta Enlargers if you even needed anything

Dusty on the outside is OK - but have a look inside is it clean and dust free?

Does the Head move up and down the Column easily – at a consistent amount of force?

Does the Focus more without sticking or juddering and with little free play in the mechanism?

If it has a Colour Head, do the Colour Dials move easily with little free play?

If the Column firmly fixed to the Baseboard?

Does it look like it has been dropped?

Does it look like the current owner has looked after it ?

If you know anyone who has an Enlarger could he/she come and look at it with you?

Enlargers are really very simple things – if you have checked these things then that is about all you can check

Meopta Enlarging Lenses came in various levels of quality – from very good down to OK – Meogon are very good & Anaret are OK.

Enlarging Lenses can have fungal growth inside.
    To check, remove from the enlarger, open the aperture, shake the lens and look through the lens towards a light.
    Fungus is seen as white floating specs.
    Fungus in a Lens is bad news – it will only get worse and affects the quality of your prints.
    You can always buy a better Enlarging Lens later if you wish.

If the Enlarger has been cared for and the price is sensible then buy it.

There is nothing like owning your own Enlarger and producing your own prints

Good luck

Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin