Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,462   Online: 1029

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Go with the metronome or the clock and count. Card in the hand in and out of the light path, it's just a little easier than turning the switch on and off right on the beat, and get in there and make some prints. They'll be just fine. No, they'll be your first prints, they'll be wonderful, you'll love them.

If after a while you notice that you've not got the control or the consistency you desire then buy a timer, but for now just get the enlarger set up, use what ever you have to hand, improvise if necessary, and get some prints out.

Good luck and enjoy,

Hywel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose I kinda represent the two extremes here - I started by pressing a footswitch and counting elephants, and finished up designing a timer and setting up a business to market it!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I worked alongside a very successful UK commercial / advertsing photographer for a number of years, he was a superb printer and never used a timer. On a number of occasions I helped print long runs of B&W prints and the consistency was excellent, sometimes we swapped over and I printed & he processed, you learn very fast. We batch processed maybe 5-10 prints at a time that made it easier to control the development times.

For my own work I've gone back to a timer, but I still count when I'm dodging & burning even with the timer cotroling the base exposure.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    I suppose I kinda represent the two extremes here - I started by pressing a footswitch and counting elephants, and finished up designing a timer and setting up a business to market it!
    Richard I went to your website and you work is very good!!! You shot the type of things I like.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Richard makes a fabulous Enlarger Timer - but he is too much of a Gentleman to mention it

It Bleeps as it counts the seconds (realy its more of a Tock)

I still count the Tocks it makes as the Timer counts the seconds - a force of habit - but I find it useful for when I have forgotten to change Timer Channel (again!)

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is true you could print without a timer, but it is much easier to work if you have one. As Martin has said, Richard developed different timers that could be considered simply gorgeous. I bought an Analyser Pro from his company (RH Designs) and I have improved a lot since I got it. This particular timer makes the work easier in the darkroom and allows me to save time and paper to get the final copy. I sincerely recommend it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Richard's timer is more than just a timer. It's much more useful as a light measurement device.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a Philips timer/enlarger meter like taht, you could use it to tell you what Grade paper to use as well, that was 30+ years ago, it was surprisingly good. I have another now on my Durst 35mm/6x6 enlarger but it rarely gets used.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A timer is a must if you enjoy listening to music while you work. I would abandon my darkroom if my timer failed.

Cheers
    TEX

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought that you can just count the beat in your music?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin