Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,067   Online: 714

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

how necessary is a timer?

Is a time for the enlarger a real necessity or is it something that is really nice to have?

Can you time the exposure with a stop watch or a timer with a bell?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    It is very nice to have a timer, but you can just count, helps to have a metronome or something that beeps once a second.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can get by without one but the difficulty when trying to make "matching" exposures is a real pain! There are some who use a metronome and count the exposure time in seconds or beats (Ansel Adams used this approach) but I could never get that comfortable with it - other than for burning and dodging. Bottom line - for repeatability they are worth the money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are people who don't use them, but 10.5 seconds and 11 seconds are very different exposures. Buy a timer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many photographers simply count.... 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, or elephants or whatever. Many use a metronome. But many more print to 1/10 second and use somewhat sophisticated digital timers. There are on the market very sophisticated timers that alow you to print in fractions of an f-Stop.

The question becomes how precise in your printing do you want to be?

I use two timers, one for printing to 1/10 second and a large sweep hand for processing to the 1/2 minute.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Personally I grew up listening to a miniature grandfather clock tick away in my mother's kitchen so I can count off seconds like a champ. But for more or less identical printing results I am going to use a timer.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're prepared to use a dimmer bulb or smaller apertures, using a metronome or even a clock with a second hand is practical. One or two seconds' error on a 60-second exposure isn't going to result in a noticeable difference in results.

However, I find that with some of the paper I use, at smaller amounts of enlargement it's not impossible to have a four- or five-second exposure at f/8. I don't want to stop down further than that because it creates diffraction, which reduces sharpness, so I use an electronic timer.

So... you can do it. If you need to buy time to be able to get a proper timer, you can certainly work around it. But eventually you'll want a proper timer.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Used darkroom stuff like this can be bought for some bucks on Ebay.
    I use a timer and don´t want to miss it. It makes things much easier.
    Mine is a very simple one which goes from 1 to 60sec in 1sec steps.
    If you use the watch, metronome or counting method you have to concentrate
    yourself too much and this is often annyoing. Darkroom work should be relaxed ;-)
    Greetz, Benjamin

Shooter
    Large Format
    To state the obvious, it's certainly a convenience. How important it is depends on how long your printing exposures typically are. For example, if they're 25-30 seconds, the "slop" from manual control is likely to be small relative to the overall exposure time and having a timer is not so important. If they're 5-10 seconds, it's very difficult to be precise enough without a timer.

If you tend to make small prints on "fast" enlarging papers - for example, prints up to 8x10 on Ilford MGIVFB or MGRC Deluxe - you'll generally be better off with a timer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The first year I print I just counted out seconds. Was ok. I did a couple of postcard exchanges that way, around 50 cards at a time, and exposure was relatively well matched.

Then, I moved to the college's darkroom and their timers. Much easier. It's also nice not to crouch over the bath tub.

I just recently got an StopClock Pro and it's pretty cool. So I'd say, if you have the money, get a decent timer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin