Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,365   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Knowing this, I'd like to replace the rice paper with a red filter. That's a great idea that I had never thought of.

Thanks!
    Sounds like a great idea until you realize that you won't use it. I've had enlargers with and without these "safe light" filters. Never used the bloody things. Swing the filter into the path, and the image is too dim to see on the baseboard. Best bet is to use the back of scrap print in the easel to line everything up. Then simply replace it with a sheet of unexposed paper to make the exposure.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Sounds like a great idea until you realize that you won't use it. I've had enlargers with and without these "safe light" filters. Never used the bloody things. Swing the filter into the path, and the image is too dim to see on the baseboard. Best bet is to use the back of scrap print in the easel to line everything up. Then simply replace it with a sheet of unexposed paper to make the exposure.
    During my Uni years, I found the orange filters very useful; however the usual deep red filters *are* a little too dark in a darkroom with a bright safelight. An orange filter is a better choice; though test it before relying on it. It probably saved me a ton in wasted paper.

All IMO, of course.
    testing...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've replaced the red filter with opaque black matboard and used it as a shutter when negative popping was a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin