Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,530   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x7 enlarger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Years ago I saw a pile of 5x7 Beseler's down in Midwest Photo's basement. Theyr'e all gone now but I can still see them...

Over the years I've had three 5x7's. The first was a Durst 138. A huge clumbsy brute of a thing with a vertical column and a scrawny table that prohibited really big enlarging. I still have one of those overblown 300 watt incandescent bulbs. (anyone want it?).

After that I converted an old B&J 5x7 monorail camera mounted on a 3-1/2" square aluminum column. I fitted it with a Zone VI cold light head, and used standard view camera lensboards. It was more versatile than the Durst, but still wasn't the answer...

I wanted the versatlity and proven design of my Beseler 4x5' with it's A-Frame and angled column which lets me make big enlargements.

It just so happens that all those loons converting to digital are throwing away darkrooms (with 4x5 Beselers) like mad these days. A quick check on Craig's list, and I bagged a 4x5 Beseler...

A few days later, and a few modifications to fit my 5x7 Zone VI cold light head, and I'm a happy camper...

Here's a couple of photo's...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bslr Down small.jpg   Bslr head small.jpg   Bslr interior small.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old 138 were with condenser. Later had color head. Whichever model had the cold light option.
    I have one with condenser and a cold light head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reinhold did you make the adopter and filter holder your self,looks well made.Like to do something like that for my zone v1 #1 mod. myself. m.c.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,

Everything is made with 1/8" or 1/4" tempered Masonite or thin Baltic Birch plywood. Masonite is one of the most useful materials for the DIY darkroom addict; super stable, dense, and easy to work. I use a good woodworking glue (Titebond, or Gorilla glue), and avoid nails and screws.

The negative carriers drop into a drawer, any image modifiers (contrast mask, dodging mask, filters, etc) can either lay on top of the carrier or be sandwiched with the negative as needed. I made carriers for 6x6, 6x7, 6x12, 6x15, 6x17, 4x5, and 5x7 negatives. (Altho, I could just as easily use original Beseler negative holders for everything up to 4x5. Talk about versatility!)

The lamp house sits in a collar/negative drawer assembly which bolts onto the four retainer bosses on the Beseler's upper frame. A few shims may be needed to ensure that the drawer is parallel with the lower frame (the one that a Beseler negative carrier sits on)

I found it necessary to mill some square corners into the round opening on the Beseler's upper frame. You can see the square cutouts on photo #3, above. I have a small milling machine, so that wasn't a big challenge. I think it could also be done using a jig saw & a fine tooth metal cutting blade.

I managed to find my original sketches which should convey the basic idea. They were based on maximum bellows draw so as to avoid corner clipping.

Have fun.

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bslr drawer small.jpg   Bslr Carriers small.jpg  
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a good deal for an old Elwood 5x7 on ebay for only $25. It wasn't complete. The column and lamp house was missing. I built my own lamp housing and made a horizontal mount for it. It works great and was a cheap solution to a big neg problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin