Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,120   Online: 1125

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a sort of a frame for the image.

If you are curious about whether the sprocket holes might enhance a particular image, print it both ways, and then decide.

Generally, I think they detract from a good image, and don't enhance a mediocre one.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only on contact print pages as the frame numbers are actually useful there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My self I think that sprocket holes make the photo look as though you are too cheap to buy a proper negative holder. They add very little to a photo except to advertise the type of film that you use. So in other words "Not a chance in my prints"

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    only with my holga which i have tweaked to u se 35mm film.

sometimes i may print the rebate, but not often. There are times when it works well, but not often
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    But sadly, you can probably get a Photoshop plugin to add that border to a digi-image! :rolleyes:

DaveT
    Yep, even the Hasselblad notches can and has been faked.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Do you print the sprocket holes in your photos?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    But sadly, you can probably get a Photoshop plugin to add that border to a digi-image! :rolleyes:

DaveT
    Indeed. I've seen a digi-pic in a 4x5 Velvia frame which still had the EXIF info from the camera it was taken on, and an over-saturated colour pic with a sprocket-hole border. The "film"? Acros apparently :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't be ridiculous.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Showing the sprocket holes can work very well in the right circumstances. The Rule is not to show them (as obvious from some of the replies). It is an important rule , and as artists we need to know the rules in order to know when to break them.

Printing multiple frames at the same time is one instance that sprocket holes can become a valuable part of the image. And when it is important to the image to be identified as a photograph, sprocket holes can work.

Such devices are not just limited to photography. Lithographers have often matted their prints to include the impression marks of the stone around the image, watercolor painters show the torn (not cut) edge of their paper. One could even argue that some of these "marks" have become (or always have been) part of the image, such as the brush marks of an oil painting.

I include the film rebate in my LF platinum/palladium prints. Others such as Richard Avedon have also used the rebate to form part of the image ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Avedon ). In one of my images, the widening of the rebate was distracting, so I removed it by scratching it off the neg...The print is below...the area scratched off is in the lower right.

Vaughn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Last Valley Light, Yosemite Falls.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    showing the sprocket holes calls attention to the photographic process. If doing so is the point of your image, then show them. If not, then avoid it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin