Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,238   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Sprocket holes: Yes or no?

Do you print the sprocket holes in your photos? I do, because it shows the photo is 35mm and from film.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, but I do print with ThinBB. Sprocket holes are a little too far for my taste. Makes it ThickBB which I don't like.

Shooter
    35mm
    I find that the sprocket holes have a strong effect of shattering expectation. In other words, they are not subtle in any way. When looking at the photo, practically the first thing you see is the sprocket holes. The holes have an effect of 'breaking the wall', perhaps reminding you that you are looking at a photograph, and collapsing the scene from imagination-space onto the paper. I find it similar to a 4th wall break in a motion picture. This effect isn't necessarily bad but I certainly wouldn't print everything like that.

Possibly even more visually violent than 35mm printed with unexposed sprocket holes, is film in which the hole area including sprocket holes is exposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Printing the sprocket holes and rebate is pretty much a cliche, in my opinion. I'm not so sure what the purpose is other than to prove that it's not from a digital camera.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If the image is crap, no amount of sprocket holes will help.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    No, but I do print with ThinBB. Sprocket holes are a little too far for my taste. Makes it ThickBB which I don't like.
    I print maybe 1/2 of the hole.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    nope marko
    i don't use a filed down arbusian negative carrier,
    i crop the black clean off.
    plenty of numeric-ians ps in the rebate, sprocket holes,
    black border &C onto their fauxtos so what's the point?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    Printing the sprocket holes and rebate is pretty much a cliche, in my opinion. I'm not so sure what the purpose is other than to prove that it's not from a digital camera.
    But sadly, you can probably get a Photoshop plugin to add that border to a digi-image! :rolleyes:

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hardly ever shoot 35, but I'd only include the sprocket holes if they added something to the image. I have yet to see any examples where it does add to the image.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    If the image is crap, no amount of sprocket holes will help.
    And if the image is good, added extraneous "stuff" won't do anything but bring it down.

The only reason to print sprocket holes or similar peripheral distractions is as "proof" that the image came from 35mm film or such. Maybe for courtroom usage?

For fine art usage, such stuff is unattractive, distracting, out of scale and jarring to look at - a waste of the viewer's attention. It's technical self pleasuring for photo geeks. Don't do it.

From the viewer's point of view, who cares what camera it came from? Sure, I care for myself, as a maker of images, but I'm not going to inflict that technical blather on others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin