Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,802   Online: 750

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Uneven Illumination Beseler 23cII

So, I've got this old beseler 23 with an aristo cold light head in it. Everything seems to be working well, except the annoying fact that the illumination is way wonky. I've been a contact printer for ten years, and haven't been enlarging for very long at all, so all of this is pretty mind boggling. Burning in the edges/corners of a negative seems pretty straight forward, but I am getting a triangular shaped falloff that starts pretty far into the negative. What I am asking here is, how to minimize this and diagnose where the problem is coming from.

I'm using a schneider 80mm lens, enlarging 6x6 and I have the light source as close to the negative as possible. Would a change in lens make a difference, and if so what are good options. This is a really old enlarger, so chucking it is also an option.

Maybe you are supposed to lose ~2 stops of light from the center to the edge of the image?

Cheers and thanks for reading my ramble!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's probably something wrong with the light. Cold lights have a flourescent tube coiled up in them, behind the white diffuser. Old flourescents sometimes only light up on part of the tube...it probably needs a new bulb.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have checked the bulb, and it lights up the length of the tube, but maybe dimmer in some places. I will have to check that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contact Aristo here: customerservice@voltarc.com and describe the problem. You'll probably have to send it to them.
    I had fall-off on both sides of my original 4x5 lamp after 20 years of use, and it needed to be replaced. It should be very uniform, one of the advantages of the cold light (you can't see the defects visually).
    Also, be sure the proper diffusion plate is between the lamp and the negs. (Mine looks like a piece of white milky plexiglass)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin