Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,338   Online: 874

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Strad,
    You're using fiber based paper? That does require 5-10 minutes, as does film according to my packages. But for RC paper, it's 2-4 minutes in the fix for both the Kodak and Kentmere powder fixer I use. I use the double bath and do about 90 seconds in each, 3 minutes total. I allow 30 seconds in the first tray of fix and then turn the lights on, and I've read as little as 10 seconds is fine for RC paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No, I'm using Ilford RC Multi contrast paper.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    No, I'm using Ilford RC Multi contrast paper.
    Three minutes will fix the hell out of Ilford RC.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 03-05-2009 at 08:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That is great news!!!
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Three minutes will fix the hell out of Ilford RC.
    Absolutely!

RC paper fixes within 1 minute in film-strength (10%) ammonium thiosulfate (rapid fixer). Ilford FB takes 2x 1 minute in the same solution. It takes twice as long in sodium thiosulfate.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I use Arista Rapid Fixer from Freestyle Camera in Hollywood, and Lowell Huff at Clayton Chemicals, who manufactures it, told me during a recent phone conversation that only 30 seconds is needed to fix Ilford's RC papers in it. I give it a minute nevertheless and at 30 seconds I turn on the light to examine test strips as well as prints, especially the latter to determine if artifacts got onto my prints while the negatives were sitting in my enlarger.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ralph, When I look at yor site it is very obvious you know a thing or two about photography!!! Everybody has a different take on what is a great shot and what is a good shot. Your tonal range, lighting and overall style in how I try to visualize my shots in my head. I am glad to find out that I don't have to wait 7 mins. for each print!

Thanks everyone!
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For Ilford RC paper and Ilford rapid fixer, 30 seconds in the fixer to allow you check that all the paper is away, then light on and a further 30 seconds looking at your wonderful creation/abomination to decide whether to whoop or cry, then a bit more just in case, then out into the wash....

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm View Post
    I use Arista Rapid Fixer from Freestyle Camera in Hollywood, and Lowell Huff at Clayton Chemicals, who manufactures it, told me during a recent phone conversation that only 30 seconds is needed to fix Ilford's RC papers in it. I give it a minute nevertheless and at 30 seconds I turn on the light to examine test strips as well as prints, especially the latter to determine if artifacts got onto my prints while the negatives were sitting in my enlarger.
    One minute is a good choice, because 30s is theoretically enough to fix but not always enough to secure an even liquid distribution over the entire print.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are using an alkaline or neutral fix and no stop. And if you use static water for the rinse after the developer and not running water, you can fog paper if you turn the lights on too soon. You see, developer gradually builds up in the static rinse and then is carried into the fix which then becomes a developer with a silver halide solvent in it, which assists in fogging the paper and developing it further. Light only adds to the injury.

So, if you use an alkaline fix, make sure you use a stop or running water for a rinse.

PE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin