Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,586   Online: 904

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Double exposure times for high-contrast filters? Not mine.

I got a full set of Ilford MG under-lens filters recently with no box or instructions. I always heard that for filters above 3.5, you were supposed to double the exposure time. I don't see that at all when I use mine. From right to left, grade 2.5 at 10s, grade 5 at 10s, and grade 5 at 20 seconds.

weird?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails contrast.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see your point. I also don't see much contrast change between the 2.5 and the 5, so perhaps your 5 filter has faded.

Here are the instructions if you have not already located them: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...0201152306.pdf

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please remember that exposure changes for contrast filters are designed for a print density of 0.6. Any other density needs a different exposure factor.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Ralph is of course right. And additionally every set of filters is designed for a specific paper. Other papers sometimes behave significantly different.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Based on what the OP has said, it is safe to assume that the filters were secondhand. On the recent Ilford tour I think that Simon Galley hazarded a guess that the filters need replacing every 20 years or so. If the problem is fading of the grade 5 filter, how does he go about ascertaining whether this is the case? Once he establishes whether fading of the grade 5 filter is the problem or not he can then move on to a solution such as replacement or further investigation as to other causes.

I cannot help here as my knowledge is nowhere near good enough but so far I feel that collectively we haven't helped him get much closer to a solution either.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think pentaxuser has a point. ic-racer made the point that the filters may have faded. BetterSense needs to do a contrast test for the set of filters in question to see if the contrast does change with each filter. If conducted with a simple step tablet (Stouffer), the actual contrast delivered by each filter and the exposure factor required for a filter can be determined.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The constant-exposure density changes with the paper and even with the developer and toner:

• MGIV FB: 0.45 OD
    • MGIV RC: 0.55 OD
    • MGIV FB WT: 0.9 OD
    • MGIV FB WT/A130/Se 1:9 to completion: 1.3 OD
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    The constant-exposure density changes with the paper and even with the developer and toner:

• MGIV FB: 0.45 OD
    • MGIV RC: 0.55 OD
    • MGIV FB WT: 0.9 OD
    • MGIV FB WT/A130/Se 1:9 to completion: 1.3 OD
    Nicholas

What is this?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    35mm
    I was using MGIV RC glossy paper of uncertain age. I bought the filters used, and I don't know how old they are. I also got some Kodak variable-contrast filters. In the interest of not wasting paper I would like to test the effects of these filters, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I do have some new MGIV satin paper. I don't have a step wedge, but I have a Kodak Projection Print Scale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I was using MGIV RC glossy paper of uncertain age. I bought the filters used, and I don't know how old they are. I also got some Kodak variable-contrast filters. In the interest of not wasting paper I would like to test the effects of these filters, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I do have some new MGIV satin paper. I don't have a step wedge, but I have a Kodak Projection Print Scale.
    The Kodak Projection Print Scale is not good enough. You either need a step tablet (stouffer) or a timer (an f/stop timer with 1/3 stop increments would work well). Anyway, the step tablet does it all in one exposure, any timer will require multiple exposures, which is frustrating.

I suggest to invest a few $ and call Stouffer. You can use it for many tests, not just this one.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin