Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,162   Online: 1107

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aristo VCL on a Durst L184

I am considering purchasing an Aristo Variable contrast cold light head. Has anyone had experience with this combination? Also my experience is with dichro heads for B&W what is the difference in operation between a Variable contrast cold light head and a Dichro?

Is it a problem to attach the Aristo to a Durst L184? Thanks,

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't know about fitting it to the Durst but I have used the Aristo VCL for a long time and I like it but the first thing you will have to get used to is how dim the printing light is. I am using a later generation Aristo VCL head and for some reason I have to print at a high contrast setting. My normal contrast setting is between 3.2 and 4. Those issues aside it is a great head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I don't know about fitting it to the Durst but I have used the Aristo VCL for a long time and I like it but the first thing you will have to get used to is how dim the printing light is. I am using a later generation Aristo VCL head and for some reason I have to print at a high contrast setting. My normal contrast setting is between 3.2 and 4. Those issues aside it is a great head.

Thanks for replying. Is the apparent dimness of the light a problem for dodging and burning? Do you need to work in an exceptionally dark darkroom?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian,

What advantages do you see in using a cold light head? I've only used condenser or more recently dichroic heads.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Early Riser, yes I do definitely keep the dark room very dark for that reason. If you use a Thomas safe light or something that is very bright, the image is hard to see. Personally I am happy to work in a dark dark room just lit with red LEDs

Tom the advantage to a cold light is smoother tones and less problem with scratches and dust on the negative showing up on the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple other advantages (in the 8x10 size) is that less heat means no fan, and the overall head height can be lower than a dichro or condenser head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    A couple other advantages (in the 8x10 size) is that less heat means no fan, and the overall head height can be lower than a dichro or condenser head.
    I can see how that is an advantage. With all the fans going full throttle, my darkroom can sound like a small plane.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, some of the advantages have been posted. I'm in the process now of learning about all the advantages as well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The noise is actually another reason I work with a darker darkroom. I find the hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm of the thomas florescent safe light to drive me insane.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin