Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,919   Online: 795

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Another Aristo V54/VC question

I went through most of the other threads on this but didn't find anything pertaining to my question. I have an Aristo cold lite(V54) and am using Freestyle edu ultra VC paper(FOMA). I seem to have the opposite issue of most of the folks on other threads: my tests with both the cold lite and on my B&J Solar(tungsten diffusion) show a definite softness with the edu ultra VC. So much so I question my negative development times. I tested a negative at normal dev with Slavich graded(#3) and it is about what I would expect..highlighs need some burning and maybe use a soft developer. With the VC(edu ultra) I need to use a a #4 filter for about the same effect. Any one else had this soft experience? I can develope a highlight zone 8 to a density of about 1.6 and still print it as Z8 with a #3 filter?
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have to use a higher contrast setting on my VCL 4500. Normal for me ranges between grade 3 and 4. If I have a very flat negative to print I on occasion will have to do part of the exposure with only the blue tube. But that is rare. I almost always get what I need out of grade 3.something. I almost never print with it set as low as grade 2.

KOG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it is not uncommon for paper grades to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I've projection printed a step wedge onto Arista.edu Ultra RC VC glossy, and the contrast is very close to grade 3. It was about the same as Ilford Multigrade RC using the same setup - Aristo D2 V54 lamp with a Ilford Multigrade #3 filter.

Kevin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience is opposite - I need to use lower contrast filters - my normal range is 1 - 1.5 filter. This gives me a rough equivalent to the old Seagull grade 2, using negatives from years ago.
    Also, the contrast steps between filters are not linear (nor are exposures between filters consistent), so when split grade printing, I do a lot of testing. It's worth it, though.
    I have the V54 lamp with the filter drawers and most of what I have printed with it over the last 5 - 6 years has been on Forte Fiber and Ilford MG4 fiber.

Fresh paper and developer are one key.

Then develope the negative to give a nice full tone on #2 paper from a nice full tone subject.

Remember exposure controls the shadow density in the neg, development controls the density of the highlights and the contrast in the print.

Images
    Slavich graded(#3)

I love Slavich, but grade 3 Slavich has extreme contrast compared to Ilford, and high contrast by at least a grade to Kentmere.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin