Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,561,003   Online: 1030

Shooter
    Multi Format

Durst 670 colour filter confusion

I'm using the Durst M670 colour enlarger and was just about to try out split grade printing for the first time when I came to realize that the filter settings for Ilford Multigrade (says ilfospeed multigrade?) in the manual dont match those given by the Ilford website. Am I not understanding something? my manual for example gives grade 2 as Y36 M46 where as the Ilford site gives Y52 M20.

Any thoughts?
    Thank you
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ??
    For the so-called 'split grade' technique just use maximum yellow and maximum magenta.

If you want to use a mixed approach (with both magenta and yellow at the same time) the exact combination to achieve a constant gray across all settings will be different for different papers. The Ilford settings would apply for Ilford papers and they work pretty well with my Omega so I would try those. You may have to make your own table of values.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the case, but it makes no difference as long as you choose one system or the other and stick with it it doesn't matter at all.

Go for the Ilford settings as they have been tested with the latest papers, and will work,make sure they are the ones they recommend for Durst enlargers

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by S Raff View Post
    I'm using the Durst M670 colour enlarger and was just about to try out split grade printing for the first time when I came to realize that the filter settings for Ilford Multigrade (says ilfospeed multigrade?) in the manual dont match those given by the Ilford website. Am I not understanding something? my manual for example gives grade 2 as Y36 M46 where as the Ilford site gives Y52 M20.

Any thoughts?
    Thank you
    I side with ic-racer on this one. For split-grade printing, forget the filtration suggestions from Durst or Ilford (they are meant for something else), and work with max Y and max M to get min and max contrast from your enlarger. Mix these two settings for split-grade printing or to get any contrast in-between.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford makes reference to 4 different color filter calibration standards on page 3 of this document: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...0201152306.pdf. Two different standards are documented for Durst enlargers. There is a single standard from Kodak which is used on Beseler and Omega enlargers. The Leitz Focomat V35 uses yet another standard. There may be others. Use the one that most closely matches the setup of your enlarger and fine tune from there.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin