Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,431   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

gralab 555 question

I just got a timer from ebay after my last one stopped working. It just arrived and I tried it out. The first thing I noticed was that the second counting LED was very very dim. Ok, not a big deal. But then when I tried outlet A it never goes off. It was two settings dim and on. Outlet B is on/off. Is that expected?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 451.There are 3 settings on the display switch.Dim,bright,off.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not talking about the display switch. I'm talking about outlet A. It never goes completely off. If I plug a light into it, the light is dim when "off" and full on when "on". Looking at the manual on the gralab site, this does not look correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A quick Google check showed that there are 3 levels of light intensity on the 555.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like the relay on outlet A is faulty. Solid-state relays can be damaged by overload or power surges to a point where they no longer switch off fully, and I would guess that is the problem with yours. We use electro-mechanical relays which, perhaps surprisingly, we find to be much more reliable.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    A quick Google check showed that there are 3 levels of light intensity on the 555.
    That refers to the display lights (ie: m:s:ss), not the outlet power.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    Sounds like the relay on outlet A is faulty. Solid-state relays can be damaged by overload or power surges to a point where they no longer switch off fully, and I would guess that is the problem with yours. We use electro-mechanical relays which, perhaps surprisingly, we find to be much more reliable.
    Ok, I wonder how difficult that is for me to repair? Since outlet B still works, all is not lost, but still the situation is not ideal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can get inside the case and know how to use a soldering iron, it shouldn't be too difficult providing parts are available (i.e. not a discontinued item).
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would see about returning it before attempting a repair, unless the timer was advertised as defective.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I contacted the seller and got a discount on the unit. Its not worth the shipping cost to return it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin