Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,976   Online: 882

Shooter
    Multi Format

Zone VI enlarger w/vc CL head- thoughts? suggestions?

Hello......who uses the Zone VI enlarger with the VC head? I"m considering purchasing this unit......Would love any comments on who has used this...........

Thanks.....

Gordo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the zone VI mod. 1.It does not have the vc head though,that would be great.With the head I have I'm restricted to using graded paper. The model 2 have some improvements . Never used the vc head but would like to have one.I like mine as I have the compensating timer .Steve Anchell wrote a write up on this enlarger in the July 1993 issue of Camera and darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gordo, I do have some complaints. The large wheel on the side that rises and lowers the head gets loose, the set screws loosen up. Also I can't get the bellows the retract enough the use a 50mm lens,no big deal for I do not use 35mm. I would assume that was corrected on the model 2. Also focusing is awkward using the lens focus knob so I use the height adjustment to fine focus,which is better the neg will not pop on you.
    mike
    Last edited by mike c; 03-31-2009 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp,sp

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a zone vi vc enlarger and I love it. It does take some getting used to, as it doesn't act quite the same as other vc enlargers I've used. Nor is it quite like using filters.

The tricky part is learning how to adjust the contrast while keeping the exposure the same.

Other than that, this enlarger is very well made. I've never had a problem using my 50mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Edpierce, do you have the older model 1 or the newer model 2, I have a little problem with my 50mm lens. I've got the older model 2, and I like it very much with graded papers.

mike c.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've had both types; currently using the type 2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I meant to say I have the type 1. edpiere did you have any problems using the 50mm one your type 1.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I find that the Z6 VC enlarger is a "slow printer" -- meaning that exposure times are long. I'm currently using a LPL 4500 with dichloric head. I that the LPL is a better enlarger overall, a very fast printer, and more compact. One of the significant advantages of the Z6, however, is that it is extremely easy to align, an attribute not shared by the LPL.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Zone VI Type 2 enlarger with the VC head. I mostly split filter print using VC papers and a RH Designs StopClock timer. It took me a while to learn to print with this setup since before I only used a regular coldlite and graded papers. The enlarger is built like a tank, but I wouldn't recomend it unless you found a screaming deal. There is no support for parts and since this enlarger wasn't built in large numbers there aren't many used ones out there to scavage. I would recomend something that had a wider following when produced.
    Ron
    Memphis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mine is set up but I have not used it. One accessory I bought was the focus extension. I put the handle from a jalousie window on it to make it easier to tweak.
    I have to start proofing negs and hope that will help me get the hang of it. BTW, it has been new in the box for almost 15 years. I bought it new. Long story. It's a Type II.
    Say, anyone want a good buy on a brand new xlong column? It's too long for my ceiling--even with the work surfaces lowed; and my wife won't let me cut a hole in the living room floor up above.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin