Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,117   Online: 1129

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

LPL C7700 Colour Head - How can I dial in Grade 5?

Hi All.

I had a print session of some really old negs today, from my grandmother's collection.

One in particular needed Grade 5 to be usable, and according to my grade table I need to dial in 200M.

Unfortunately, my LPL C7700 only dials up to 170M. I printed at that, but it still needed some extra "snap".

How can I get Grade 5 on this head? Never needed it previously, but would be good to know for future reference.

Thanks everybody!

-Nanette

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nannette, one way I once did a flat as a flapjack neg, was to dial out the filtration and use a number 5 Ilford filter under the lens.

It worked better than the sort of grade 4½ or so my colour head was able to achieve.

I don't suggest you make a habit of it, but when desperation happens, you do funny things for a result.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the same enlarger, and tend to use the yellow filter alongside magenta if I need the contrast. I've never bothered to work out the actual grade of the filter settings - just go off the test strips and work prints.
    Ciaran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input.
    Was thinking along your lines, Mick, as I've seen a SH lot of filters that were missing some filters but luckily *not* the Grade 5 one.
    And Solarize - this was my real hope when asking the original question - saves me having to outlay extra $$ on a filter I'll rarely use.

Will try a few Test Strips, and if to no avail - I'll go Mick's suggestion.

Thanks all - as always an answer is out there for just about everything on APUG

-Nanette
    www.nanettereid.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nanette,

You could try using ILFORD MG FB which should give plently of contrast with heavy magenta filtration.

Tom.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Take a paper that delivers more contrast. Not all papers are true G5 even with the ilford filters.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The numbers on color heads are not standardized. If your magenta filter is totally covering the light path, that will likely be as good as the Ilford MG #5 filter. Also, make sure the yellow moves all the way out of the way when its on zero. To get more contrast you can try a high contrast paper developer or graded #5 paper or both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all - will look at all options.
    Seems like a visit to my local photo shop may be in order.
    Uncle Kev's gonna love having given me that bonus here in AUS!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin