Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,650   Online: 988

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Thanks, would simplify matters and I should be able to make a much more refined test strip from there.
    I get a feeling from the replies so far that many people are comfortable with f/stop printing while others are skeptical.
    Perhaps they find that f/stop printing works fine without the need to buy a dedicated f/stop timer, would that be a fair assumption?
    Keith, I was a sceptic until I bought an StopClock Pro

I think its true of most who don't use one - they wonder what is all the fuss about

However, when you have tried one you will understand why those who have them love them so much

I was swayed by all the best printers I know use them and swear by them - there is a hint in there somewhere

Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    ...I get a feeling from the replies so far that many people are comfortable with f/stop printing while others are skeptical.
    Perhaps they find that f/stop printing works fine without the need to buy a dedicated f/stop timer, would that be a fair assumption?

I am not at all skeptical of the process. In fact, quite the contray. As for the stop clocks, I am thrilled to find such modern conveniences available but, I simply cannot justify the expense right now. So, as much as I would love to have one of the technological wonders, I'm going to muddle along with my $20 Omega Repeating Audible timer. Until yesterday, I thought it was the cat's ass in enlarger timers.
    Last edited by BradS; 04-07-2009 at 11:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt, the pound/dollar rate today is approx $1.47 making a StopClock Professional delivered to the US approx $310. There is a link to a converter www.xe.com on our ordering info page. Sorry, for some reason APUG won't let me embed URLs today.

Yes, we also offer a money back guarantee, 14 days but flexible in the case of overseas customers to allow for shipping times.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Actually the way it would work is that the exposure difference required to produce the same density difference for a middle gray across all contrast grades would be standardized......
    I just wanted to point out that I was making a hypothetical point and that I have great respect and admiration for any person or business that is catering to darkroom users. I am personally familiar with the Darkroom Automation equipment and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a timer or meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard, can the RH Designs stop clock pro interface with a Beseler 45 universal head? I have one of these.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Richard, can the RH Designs stop clock pro interface with a Beseler 45 universal head? I have one of these.
    Hi Andrew

I'm not familiar with that head, but basically if the lamp can be switched on and off by simply applying mains power, then "yes". Like 99% of enlarger timers on the market, the StopClock is fundamentally a mains on-off switch. The clever bit simply involves knowing when to switch on and off.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    Curt, the pound/dollar rate today is approx $1.47 making a StopClock Professional delivered to the US approx $310. There is a link to a converter www.xe.com on our ordering info page. Sorry, for some reason APUG won't let me embed URLs today.

Yes, we also offer a money back guarantee, 14 days but flexible in the case of overseas customers to allow for shipping times.

I just ordered and received a paper flasher from RH Designs. I was quite please with their service, shipping was very reasonable and my order arrived promptly. Now that I have a paper flasher that works in F-stops, I'll probably have to get a F-stop timer.

Roger Thoms

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    An F-Stop timer is to the darkroom what the shutter-speed and aperture controls are to a camera. When was the last time you used a camera that didn't have marked controls?
    The trouble I have in understanding this comparison is on a camera, the lens uses F stops and the shutter uses time. On the camera, I would have trouble thinking of it as set the lens F stop and set the shutter F stop.

All the great photographers of old did not have one of these. Now, that said, maybe it is easier for some, but for the money, since I never had a problem, I would find it hard to want one.

On the other hand, maybe using one my photos would be better. After all, a lot of camera/lens and other tools are purchase with the same expectation of improvement.

If I win the lotto I will buy one, maybe.:rolleyes:
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    An F-Stop timer is to the darkroom what the shutter-speed and aperture controls are to a camera. When was the last time you used a camera that didn't have marked controls?
    I don't quite know how this relates, but I set the f stop on my camera lens, then decide how many seconds the exposure time will be. Which is exactly how I determined the exposure of my silver gelatin prints.

So count me in on the side of the skeptics...well, perhaps not skeptics, but just one who seemed to be able to print with a regular timer quite easily. A single test strip in 5 second intervals, pick a time and start printing. My burning was more in line with Michael Smith's..a dance I greatly enjoyed.

If I start making silver gelatin prints again, perhaps I should try one of these devices. I do not know why it would do a better job of telling me if I should print at 22 seconds or at 23 seconds at f11 than any other timer, but perhaps some day I will find out.

For now I'll print without a lens and without f stops, and just figure out if the exposure should be 6 minutes or perhaps 6 minutes and 15 seconds.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    The trouble I have in understanding this comparison is on a camera ... set the shutter [in] F stop[s ?]
    The term ‘f-Stop Timer’ is unfortunate, but historical. In the old days before dedicated f-stop timers people were taught the traditional f-stop numbers from lenses generated a 1/2 stop progression of times: 1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4 ... seconds, and those who could remember lens 1/2 stop sequences had the 1/4 stop time sequence down pat: 1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.7, 2.0, 2.4, 2.8, 3.5, 4, 4.8, 5.6, 6.8 ... These times still show up in f-stop timers.

But the shutter speed sequence on a camera also follows the same progression of numbers as f-stops: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 30(32), 60(64), 125(128) - but at every other f-stop number.

Stops are powers of two and so the same sequence of numbers shows up time and again. “f-stops” as applied to lenses are the square roots of the shutter speed sequence because a lens f-stop number refers to the diameter of the diaphragm opening instead of the area.

All the great photographers of old did not have one of these. Now, that said, maybe it is easier for some, but for the money, since I never had a problem, I would find it hard to want one.
    The Daguerreotypists said that of the wet-plate photographers,
    who said the same of the dry plate shooters,
    who had the same claim against the sheet film users,
    who in their turn went livid at the thought of roll film snap-shooters,
    who laughed at photographers using 35mm with its postage stamp sized image,
    who sputtered in apoplexy at the thought of digital.

They were all right, and they were all wrong.

You will never know until you try.

On the other hand, maybe using one my photos would be better. After all, a lot of camera/lens and other tools are purchase with the same expectation of improvement.
    I will guarantee you an f-stop timer will increase your enjoyment of photography more than spending the same money on a new lens.

If I win the lotto I will buy one, maybe.
    Buy a Darkroom Automation Lottery ticket, just $5, every day for just 5 short weeks and win the lotto - take home a brand new f-Stop Timer.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin