Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,708   Online: 937

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I use an Omega C700 head, if that makes an difference. What kind of anti-static cloth do you have? I've been wanting a zerostat gun forever for use with my records, but they are so expensive anymore.
    My understanding is you set up to print in a closet. Closets are real dust traps. It should be vacuumed thoroughly; and of course, there is no clothing in there, right!?

And, be aware that the more you dust the neg, the more you can set up static charges that attract the dust. And I found, when using them, that the much-vaunted anti-static cloths never helped much.

I am not an electrician, so can't recommend how to do it; but you should check to make sure that the terminal into which you plug your enlarger cord is definitely grounded.

If there are just a few specks you see on the neg by oblique light, I knew guys who could pick the little buggers up with the tip of a spotting brush. I never could.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I am not an electrician, so can't recommend how to do it; but you should check to make sure that the terminal into which you plug your enlarger cord is definitely grounded.
    I'm not an electrician, either; however, I know that hardware and home improvement stores sell little gadgets you can plug into an outlet that have lights that light up (or don't) when there are various problems. As I recall, they're pretty cheap -- on the order of $10 -- so it's worth getting one to check all the outlets in your home. In fact, I just Googled the model number of the one I've got in my toolbox; here's the first hit, just so you can see what I mean.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear BetterSense

While this is probably not your problem, I have found that some boxes of paper have more dust (from cutting I assume) than others. I find a quick shot of compressed air after the paper is in the easel cleans up a lot of problems.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear BetterSense

While this is probably not your problem, I have found that some boxes of paper have more dust (from cutting I assume) than others. I find a quick shot of compressed air after the paper is in the easel cleans up a lot of problems.

Neal Wydra
    That's interesting - makes a lot of sense to me. I had just never though of that. Time to buy bulk Dust Off.

Actually I use a product called "Blow Off" which I know will interest the lads in the U.K. I, of course call it "Fart in a Can"! Been trying to get the company to produce a grass removal product they could call "Sod Off"

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Years ago I invested in an inexpensive air cleaner. These look like small room heaters, and recirculate the air through a replacable filter element. This DOES help quite abit with dust removal. Keep your enlarger covered at all times(except in use), At least once every 3 months(or more)disassemble and THOROUGHLY wipe down the internals of the enlarger, You could also try grounding the metal chassis of your machine-I've done this last step with good results.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If the dust spots are in the same place on prints from different negatives, then the dust is in the enlarger. Also dust spots that are not very sharp are usually in the enlarger. Dust on the condenser lenses are usually the problem.

To check, put an empty neg carrier in the enlarger, open the lends up, turn the light on, and put a large piece of clean white paper on the easel (turn off the darkroom lights). Move the paper slightly as you rack the focus up and down and look for black specks that do not move with the paper. If you see any black spots, then you have dust on your condenser lenses. The sharpest dust spots are those nearest the negative. Dust higher up in the condenser system get softer when you focus where the negative is.

Good luck! Dust is is a bane!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin