Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 771

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

8x10 Elwood Enlarger help?

I just picked up an all metal (C2?) Elwood enlarger. If I never plan to project on the wall and only plan on a max 20x24 or 16x20 print size, how high from the table will the top of the lamp house be. It came with a table I could dissect an elephant on and I would like to downsize (there is an oxymoron) the over all size this beast will take up. How do you have yours mounted. I don't have ceiling issues (9'). Any chance a 30 x 20 table would work. I will be using a 10" ekatanon for 8x10 negs. Thanks.

If I could give you a call to chat could you PM your phone 3?

Thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't help with the actual height, but I do have these measurements:

With a 300mm lens on my 8x10 enlarger, making a 16x20 enlargement requires roughly 17" of bellows extension and I measured 50" from the negative plane to the paper plane. So, if you can measure the distance on your Elwood head from the negative plane to the top of the head, you should be able to get an approximation to answer the question.

With these 'free standing' enlargers, you may find the extra baseboard space around the easel useful. Otherwise you may need a table or counter near by on which to set odds and ends.

Good luck with that enlarger, post pictures if you can!
    Last edited by ic-racer; 04-07-2009 at 03:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    mattk,

I'm getting an 8x10 Elwood C2 set up in the darkroom over the next week or so. One of the other guys who uses the darkroom built a table for it that's about 48"x60" and about 18" high. We have a 10' ceiling in the darkroom. The guy I bought the enlarger from had a 36"x60" table that he had it mounted on - ours is 48" because that's what we had for space. I'm not sure I'd want to make the table as small as you are thinking. If you do go that small, you will need to attach the legs to the floor with some strong anchors.

I also have a 10" Enlarging Ektanon that I'll be using. So, if you are not in a rush, I can get some measurements to you once we get it set up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Funny problem - I'm going to be getting an Elwood 8x10 with no table! Guess I'll be making one as well.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
    I'm going to be getting an Elwood 8x10 ...
    So, have you been keeping this a secret?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    So, have you been keeping this a secret?
    Not exactly as such ... I suppose I just found out myself!

There is a gentleman in Chicago that is selling one intact, but it needs a new baseboard. Opal glass should be intact as well as the rest of it - he was actually printing with it himself.

Should be nice for enlarged contact sheets if nothing else.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
    but it needs a new baseboard.
    This is 3/4" dense particle board with white Melamine (like Formica) on both sides. I had to buy a 8 foot by 4 foot piece for an elephant dissecting table I was making . This is the 'scrap.' Its 4 foot by 4 foot. You can get it at Home Depot, but this one is free if you want it next time you are in the area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a C2 parts list in jpeg files. If anyone wants a copy PM me your email address. I have mine mounted on a low stand so that the column just fits under an 8ft ceiling. I work while sitting on a normal height chair. Making an 11x14 from an 8x10 negative I'm about 40in from carrier to stand top. Using a 240 lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everybody! I got it all set up--you should have see my wife's face when the garage door went up and this thing was lying there. All she said was "Seriously?" What a sight to behold. I knew holding on to that 10" Ektanon was a good idea. Now the challenge is focusing on the non-existent grain. What are you guys using for bulbs when mine goes out?

MAtt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin