Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,457   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Glass Neg Carrier Woes

I have the glass neg carrier for my LPL C6700 - it's a massive, massive pain to get and keep that thing clean, i.e. free from dust etc. Is this a common problem? Am I really gaining any benefit with this carrier other than it's universal? Any ideas appreciated, including for cleaning products.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Zeiss wet cloths to clean the glass and then use a can of air to blow off any loose stuff as well as the negative.

The carrier will keep your neg perfectly flat, and that is a big benefit

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take from your location, Salisbury, UK (great place by the way) that your enlarger is not sitting in the basement, correct? If so, have you ever measured the humidity level of the room the enlarger is in. It still being relatively cold, your air might be too dry, and you have more than normal static and, consequently, dust. See if this problem gets less during the summer months. If yes, a humidifier may help. Some darkroom workers spread out a wet towel a few hours or so before they print to get the humidity up, but I have not tried that. I don't print without glass carrier anymore. I find it almost impossible to get a really sharp print without them. I rather dust than compromise on sharpness.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    I use Zeiss wet cloths to clean the glass and then use a can of air to blow off any loose stuff as well as the negative.

The carrier will keep your neg perfectly flat, and that is a big benefit
    Where can you get these wet cloths?

Thanks,

Mike Sullivan
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you using it with collimated light? If so, then efforts at removing all the dust may be futile. With diffuse light, small dust particles on the outer surfaces may not be seen or they will be less obtrusive. Sometimes you can get away without the glass carrier. I'd estimate I use a glass carrier 40% of the time.

Minox: Glass always
    16mm: Glass always
    35mm: 50% glass-50%glassless
    120: Almost always glassless
    4x5: Almost always glassless
    8x10: Glass always

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, I use the glass carrier always and find it easy to keep clean using an air blower and occasionally a brush or micro fiber cloth. I think it is great for keeping the negative flat and to be able to print full frame.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format

Always glassless!

From 35mm to 8X10.

I stretch the larger negs using black tape in the corners. They stay flat that way!

Per Volquartz

http://www.pervolquartz.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the input.

We're in a brand new house and the darkroom is in the downstairs bathroom, used solely as a darkroom and nothing else. I think I've figured the problem now, When I installed some shelves I was too excited to clean up.. maybe there's a lot of wood dust particles about. Anyway, I'm sorting it now so hopefully that will be that.

Thanks for the ideas, I'm definitely going to persevere with the glass considering the consensus on improved sharpness.

Cheers guys!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would second the Zeiss wipes. I've seen them in action (with lenses) and they're excellent. You can get them at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...g_Tissue_.html
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Per

I like your approach, but the total depth of focus for a 35mm, 10x enlargement at f/5.6 is about 0.5 mm. A 2x enlargement of an 8x10 negative is about 0.7 mm at the same aperture. A little heat from the light source and the negative will 'pop' out of focus. A glass carrier is the only way to hold a negative flat.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin