Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,836   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    The Ilford filters are so thin and so far out of the plane of focus that their effect is invisible. I have never noticed any image degradation when using under-lens filters. Scratches might have an effect but a few specks of dust certainly don't.
    Correct! We tested this a few times. Clean under-the-lens filters cause no degradation of image quality.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the actual filtration is equivalent in both cases, then no, there isn't.
    Yes, but the ability of fine-tuning is the biggest difference between under-the-lens filters and a dichroic head in my opinion.

1. I don't want to miss the fine-tuning opportunities of a dichroic head.
    2. I don't want to miss the convenience of under-the-lens filters.

I think, I've got a problem. ... No, '1' is more important than '2'.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    If you mean the end results it shouldn't be. Obviously if you're printing colour it'll be more of a hassle shuffling filters then turning the dial. For B&W less so of an issue.
    Nick

Not if you have to switch contrast within a print. A little '5' to the sky, oh ... the rocks could do with a '0' burn-in, leave the rest at '2'.
    That's all a pain with a dichroic head and easy to do with under-the-lens filters. Also, split-grade printing is much easier with them too..
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    With the Saunders LPL color head you can't get to 0 or 5 contrast levels, at least with Ilford paper. At least when I tested this, max yellow was about the same as a 1/2 Multigrade filter, and at max magenta it was about the same as a print made with a 4 MG filter.
    So, I've hung on to my MG filters for just this reason, but I've never had a reason to actually use them for doing anything other than the original test/comparison prints.

The convenience and the ability to tweak even in-between half grades, makes the color head really nice however.

If you are contemplating buying a dichroic module, I'd recommend the VCCE module, if you're planning to do only B&W.
    I haven't tested the extremes on the one that's available to me, but it's easer to use, since you can just dial in the contrast level without referring to a chart to use Y & M on a color head.

Why are you interested in the contrast extremes?

The negatives, I had, which needed contrast extremes, were not worth the printing time. Trash! (Well, that's where most of my negatives and prints are anyway.

Also, dichroic heads can easily do ISO-grades 0-5 on most papers. What they can't do is match the contrast achievable with filter numbers 0-5. The two are not the same (not even filter numbers among filter manufacturers are the same, not even close), and ISO-grades 0-5 are just fine. For the few prints that deserve the time to print at contrast extremes, keep a set of under-the-lens filters around, just in case.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not interested in printing at the extremes, I agree that negs that far out aren't worth it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I'm not interested in printing at the extremes, I agree that negs that far out aren't worth it.
    You are right. That's my experience too.

There are exceptions of course. For example, the image attached was printed at grade 5 for a reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ok.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Yes, but the ability of fine-tuning is the biggest difference between under-the-lens filters and a dichroic head in my opinion.

1. I don't want to miss the fine-tuning opportunities of a dichroic head.
    2. I don't want to miss the convenience of under-the-lens filters.

I think, I've got a problem. ... No, '1' is more important than '2'.
    If you combine the two systems, I guess you can use the dichroics to "tweak" the contrast between filter grades?
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When split-grade printing, I use 00 and 5 filtration. I can't get grade 5 with the dichroic head. Also, another reason why I use the under-the lens filters for split-grade printing is that I can quickly change between the two exposures in split-grade without bumping the enlarger itself. The time savings is substantial.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    When split-grade printing, I use 00 and 5 filtration. I can't get grade 5 with the dichroic head. Also, another reason why I use the under-the lens filters for split-grade printing is that I can quickly change between the two exposures in split-grade without bumping the enlarger itself. The time savings is substantial.
    I agree, that's my experience too. Turning the dials on a dichroic head back and forth is a pain. Under-the-lens filters are much easier for split-grade printing.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you combine the two systems, I guess you can use the dichroics to "tweak" the contrast between filter grades?
    Richard

Combining the two filtration systems is too complex for me. If tweaking contrast is the issue, I'll stick to dichroic heads. If speed and simplicity is the issue, or if I need the flexibility to quickly change grades, I'll prefer to use the under-lens-filters. Combining the two is not simple.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin