Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,239   Online: 1105

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    Hocus Focus is a really inexpensive, fast focusing aid. You don't have to bend down, it works toward the edges - looks cheapo but is great.

I can't find this product anywhere. Where can I see it, and order it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll have to agree with the Bestwell Magnasight. You'll see em in the classifieds for a steal at about $25Nice scopes.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Hocus Focus is availeble from Nova in the UK. Doesn't beat a Peak Model 1 though..

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would reccomend the Kaiser Focus Scope. The best I have found and useable with both eyes like a slide viewer..

Peak with the long mirror so you can get into the edges and corners. Then you can use it for enlarger allignment too.

Previously sold under Omerga grain focuser name.

If you don`t care about edges, there is a 25x one good for center only. Forget the name. Has a round base

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peak Model 1.

The best I've used and I've been printing since 1972.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ser_Model.html
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I agree the Peak Model 1 is good, but I still prefer the Micromega Critical Grain Focuser it will work from any point on the easel and has a great diopter so that I don't need my glasses once it's set. It is also made of metal so I don't have to worry about it distorting in extreme heat. I still have my Scoponet and Microsite III both work well, but the eyepiece is fixed and will only work from the center of the negative. which is fine until you start working on 20x24 or larger.
    Bill

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    I have used most of them and I can't say the focus I can find with my eyes is any different from that found with a focuser.

Try it yourself: focus visually, then put in the focuser and see if any adjustment is needed. If not, then there isn't much point in the focuser. OTOH, I am 3 to 4 diopters myopic; if you are farsighted then the things may be a God send.
    Not my experience. Maybe, my eyes are not as good as yours, but my grain focuser does a better job than I can do with the naked eyes. Having said that, I'm not sure that I actually need the accuracy of the grain focuser, because the depth-of-field blurs the difference between the two focusing methods.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    Hello again!

I'm on the lookout for a new grain focuser. I have a plastic Paterson job, and it doesn't do a good job. It's pretty dim (being made of plastic) and doesn't really help focus anything. It's REALLY hard to tell when it's focused.

Can anyone recommend a good focuser, one that will last? The ones we have in our lab at school are all-one piece of metal, and they seem to do the job well.

Does anyone have experience with this one: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/473109...er?cat_id=1602 ? Is it any good? I don't want to spend a lot of money.
    I have two grain focusers, one that costs me $50 at Calumet about 12 years ago (1st image below) and one that costs me more than $250, five years later (2nd image below).

I mainly use the cheaper one, because it has a higher magnification (20x) and is very reliable. The other is better for focusing into print corners (the cheap one cannot do that), but I almost never need it anyway, and it's 10x magnification fails to resolve my film grain (MF and LF Tmax100 or 400 in D76 1+1 on 11x14 paper), which kind of misses the entire purpose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GrainFocuser1.jpg   GrainFocuser2.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ralph, I have the first type of grain focuser and recently purchased a Peak grain focuser. I have not used the Peak focuser and I was wondering about the $250 flavor.

You answered my questions.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin