Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,747   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Need a new grain focuser...

Hello again!

I'm on the lookout for a new grain focuser. I have a plastic Paterson job, and it doesn't do a good job. It's pretty dim (being made of plastic) and doesn't really help focus anything. It's REALLY hard to tell when it's focused.

Can anyone recommend a good focuser, one that will last? The ones we have in our lab at school are all-one piece of metal, and they seem to do the job well.

Does anyone have experience with this one: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/473109...er?cat_id=1602 ? Is it any good? I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ser_Model.html
    (Link to Peak Critical Enlarging Focuser Model 1)
    Worth every cent.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Agree 100%. I messed around with cheapies and then took the plunge and purchased one and have never used anything else ever since. I particularly like the fact that you can move about the whole image area, even to the corners.
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Scoponet.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just picked up a Peak Focuser Model 1 for $25, shipping included. They come up on ebay all the time but rarely go for that cheap, though you can certainly get them for less than $100. If you look on other sites though, you might find one for a good price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Peak, for sure. Once you adjust to the decrease in magnification from the cheapo grain focusing tools, the corner to corner range of the Peak makes short work of an alignment check.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Look on ebay. I found a like new blue metal one for next to nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used most of them and I can't say the focus I can find with my eyes is any different from that found with a focuser.

Try it yourself: focus visually, then put in the focuser and see if any adjustment is needed. If not, then there isn't much point in the focuser. OTOH, I am 3 to 4 diopters myopic; if you are farsighted then the things may be a God send.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have several but the one I use most often is the Bestwell Magnasight. The large mirror and good optics means I can use it from a distance rather than having to stand on my head to get my eye close to it.

Larry

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hocus Focus is a really inexpensive, fast focusing aid. You don't have to bend down, it works toward the edges - looks cheapo but is great.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin