Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,104   Online: 1094

CGross

Devere 504 - Timer options

I am finally building my darkroom and have a Devere 504 with the Dichromat head and the universal timer. In a few weeks I'll be able to actually use it rather then just stare at it!!

I would like to print using a metronome hooked up to a foot switch rather then use the universal timer. Something like the metronome compensating timer from Zone VI.

Has anyone configured something like this on a Devere 504 or similar enlarger and if yes, what did you use and how is it hooked up? Or any suggestions on what might work?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Last edited by CGross; 04-20-2009 at 07:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the foot switch for the Universal Timer only starts the timer, I don't think it has a 'constant on' function.

So, I think the DeVere Cat. #3845 interface cable might be the solution. It lets you hook up any timer. I suspect it would allow you to hook up to a simple on-off foot switch also. This would be in place of your timer.

CGross
    Thanks. Not sure why I didn't see that in my manual. I'll read up on it. I suppose any timer with a metronome and foot switch that has a constant on feature would work. I think I remember Beseler had something like that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I junked my DeVere Timer and bought an RH StopClock Pro

RH do a special interface cable for the 504

It can tick like a metronome if you want it

Not cheap - but some of the best money I have spent in years

Martin

CGross
    Thank you Martin for the info. This just might be what I am looking for. My only fear would be...too many features for this novice printer!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGross View Post
    My only fear would be...too many features for this novice printer!!
    A Devere 504 is not the usual choice of novices.

If you are starting out then an f-stop timer is your best choice. f-stop printing isn't the complicated way but the simple way - you would be using a timer designed for printing.

Darkroom Automation doesn't make a model for the Devere head, only one that behaves like a plain-old-timer where you plug the head into a 120VAC socket.

I would defer then, to RH, who appears to make a unit for this enlarger.

I believe Devere makes (made?) an adapter cable that plugged into the transtab unit and allowed you to use any timer (including DA's), but you would have to acquire the cable yourself.

I don't know of a combination footswitch/metronome electronic timer. People using this arrangement use a footswitch that turns the enlarger on when depressed and a separate musical metronome. You would have to get hold of the Devere cable to use this option. The footswitch for the Universal timer is (TTBOMK) an electronic model meant for switching a few milliamps at a few volts and only works to trigger the timer cycle. I don't know how the transtab adapter cable works but it may require you to use a footswitch that can control 120V at several amperes.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGross View Post
    Thank you Martin for the info. This just might be what I am looking for. My only fear would be...too many features for this novice printer!!
    The StopClock Pro can be as dumb or smart as you want it to be

It has a linear mode if you want to do printing by whole numbers of seconds in the good old fashioned way we were all taught.

However, it has a really cool f-stop test strip method which is very easy & straight forward.

If you have concerns about the StopClock being too complicated to use - don't - its really logical and intuitive

Richard has a manual for the StopClock on his Web Site - which can be a bit daunting when you read it cold. However, when standing in the darkroom with a piece of paper under the easel it is very straight forward.

RH Designs Web Site - http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...fessional.html

You could drop Richard an e-mail if you are unsure - he is a really nice friendly chap and can take you through it step by step

The 504 interface lead - its the 5th one in the list http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...essories1.html

Good luck

Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin