Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,217   Online: 838

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I've worked for Ferrari, Piaggio and Moto Guzzi and I can assure you that Italian industrial quality is alive and well beyond the bella figura. Of course, a little style never hurts.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Italian engineering quality?
    Italian engineering quality can be superb. Roman civil engineering still stands as some of the finest.

Not too bad in modern times:

Unfortunately, at the low end of the scale it has acquired a reputation for being neither reliable nor beautiful. It does seem mad that the company that made this is seen as the salvation of the US automobile industry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_engineering
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 05-01-2009 at 10:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With that enlarger you could change oil and tires on cars on the side if work got slow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I've worked for Ferrari, Piaggio and Moto Guzzi and I can assure you that Italian industrial quality is alive and well beyond the bella figura. Of course, a little style never hurts.
    Yes, you are absolutely right...

Still, if I had to make an analogy or parallel between the Durst Enlarger's indestructible build quality, like my L1200, and a moving vehicle, I would more likely think of a German Leopard tank, than of a well designed and build high performance Ferrari supercar... but that's just a big compliment too for Italian engineering!

But I know, listening to Italian RAI radio podcasts that quite a lot of good Italian scientists and engineers are actually regrettably working abroad, due to the unfortunately unfavourable job opportunities in Italy for some. Seems there are a few new programs set up in Italy to create opportunities for young talented Italian scientists to return or continue their work in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Italian engineering quality can be superb. Roman civil engineering still stands as some of the finest.
    Yes, the fact that some of these aqueducts still serve their original function after two millennia, is just incredible...

Whatever we Dutch may have in water related engineering skills, won't save us from being wiped from the planet in another two millennia if global warming continues at it's current pace and melts Greenland and the Antarctic to rock bottom... :o

Unfortunately, at the low end of the scale it has acquired a reputation for being neither reliable nor beautiful.
    Well, I think this was mainly in my youth... in the 70's and 80's Italian and French cars used to have a reputation here of rusting very quickly... well, can we blame them considering the weather? If you lived back than in Italy or Southern France, the world probably seemed sunny all year round

While we here up north had to endure the next stage of a severe cold... Hatsjuuu!

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 05-01-2009 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey, that's next year's Chrysler. I think it's going to be called the "F-car".

I hate to think what's going to happen to Jeep in all of this. Mercedes should have kept Jeep and sold the rest off, but Chrysler knew they were worth more with Jeep...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You guys are not telling me that Chrysler is better than Fiat, right?
    I have never been a fan of FIAT, but Of Chrysler neither.....
    For prints sales, workshops and individual lessons,
    please, check my website

My APUG Portfolio
    http://www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=196<p>

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I miss printing on the HL2501 that truly was the best mural enlarger out there. But my all time Durst favorite is still the CLS2000.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen, I agree about the CLS2000 being the best Durst enlarger, it is technically, the best enlarger I have ever had the pleasure of using!

I just loved that shutter blind.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    (Hate to divert this conversation away from Italian cars!)

I used to work at Delmar Printing in Charlotte, NC. In addition to dozens of package printers, we had one Chromega F for printing composites. This was a very large piece of equipment, I thought the maximum negative size was 11x14 but looking online I read that it is 10x10. It had its own darkroom, with a sign on the door that said simply "Godzilla Lives!" Here's a picture of this model: http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/...es/ChrFmed.jpg
    Last edited by rthomas; 05-02-2009 at 08:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Found a pic of a Chromega F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Yes, you are right , but shouldn't that also mean Italian engineering quality?... that can hardly be said of Durst enlargers

Durst must be an exception in this respect than. But wait... it seems Durst might have more of a German heritage after all, being located in Brixen far up north in Italy in probably the German language region of Italy...
    Someone who knows more of the history of Sud Tirol (South Tyrol) should chime in here. There was/is something of a separatist movement in the area. My grandmother had an early 6x9 Durst enlarger that said "Durst, Bolzen, Tirol" on the nameplate and all the control markings were German only.

Tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin