Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,502   Online: 949

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Holy Moly, is this real?

Hi all,

Just stumbled upon this document on the Durst site (of course no analog enlargers anymore there), that documents a bit of history about the company.

My eye fell upon the picture on page 2.

Gaspppp! :o:o:o

See the text "1942 The Dimensions are growing"

Now where did I leave the jackhammer to make room for this in my darkroom?

Also notice the hilarious remark about the "aesthetics" of the thing :

"Apart from the function, the aesthetics also needed to be pleasing so special mixtures of lacquer were refined and refurbished for the surfaces."

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow that is huge. The largest enlarger I had the pleasure of moving was a HUGE Salztman. Took 5 or 6 strong men to move.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the way the picture was made, the size of the enlarger is misleading. As the fellow standing in the picture is behind the enlarger base, it looks like it's actually not overly large, and is a close-up of the thing. After all, a 30x40 centimeter negative is about 12x16 inches.....not exactly a monster.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    and is a close-up of the thing. After all, a 30x40 centimeter negative is about 12x16 inches.....not exactly a monster.
    That is what I had been considering, until I noticed the visible shadows / reflections cast by the man and control column on the enlarger's base... I think it IS real...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I want to drive my enlarger to work too!!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post

Also notice the hilarious remark about the "aesthetics" of the thing :

"Apart from the function, the aesthetics also needed to be pleasing so special mixtures of lacquer were refined and refurbished for the surfaces."

Marco
    What's so funny about that? It's an Italian company. Bella Figura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Modern version :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    What's so funny about that? It's an Italian company. Bella Figura
    Yes, you are right , but shouldn't that also mean Italian engineering quality?... that can hardly be said of Durst enlargers

Durst must be an exception in this respect than. But wait... it seems Durst might have more of a German heritage after all, being located in Brixen far up north in Italy in probably the German language region of Italy...
    My website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Many years ago, R.J. Reynolds were a client of mine. They told me that they would buy only
    Italian made cigarette -making machinery because of the quality of their engineering. An Italian company was the only manufacturer which could make the machinery to the tolerances required. Apparently, in the volumes made by RJR, if cigarettes were just a fraction of a millimeter too long it cost the company $3 - 5 million per year. Perhaps Durst also made the cigarette machinery??!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ic-racer: I would need a new darkroom !!!!!
    What a beast.......

Feel a GAS attac comming up: ULF, ULF, ULF.................

Peter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin