Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,477   Online: 922

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

120 Enlarger Purchase Question

I am looking for an enlarger to print 120 and 35 and am considering the Beseler 23CIII and Omera/Saunders LPL 670 each with the variable contrast head. Does anyone have thoughts on the relative durability and customer support from these manufacturers? Thanks very much.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    We use 23C's in our school's darkroom. They've held up very well to students use. Can't speak from experience about the Saunders.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Beseler 23CIII. I haven't needed customer support (the manual is actually enough for what I've needed). It's sturdy and durable, I'd say. Several 23CII were in use at a museum school darkroom I used and they survived pretty well. They definitely got abused. For personal use, I think you'd have to be very rough to mess it up - regular use isn't going to hurt it. Mine has been moved from one darkroom to another (different state) and it's fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Beseler is a very rigid, rugged machine with no vices I can fathom.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Beseler at home, but I have also used 4X5 version of the LPL. Both are excellent. The LPL may be a bit easier to use, but it is also more expensive. The Beseler may be a shade brighter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Beseler 23C II that I have is the most durable enlarger that I have used. Being without a permanent address such as mine it is a dependable part of my lifestyle. Not a lot of people I know (including me) have a residences for loner than say 3 yrs . Seems like the enlarger goes farther than me. So for me I prefer something like the Beseler to remain consistent in operation. Seems like a "tank" as enlargers go. But that is my style maybe not yours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beseler 23s are great and cheap, and they can print up to 6x9 if you go that route some day.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the valuable responses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beseler 23C. I have three of them. They are very good enlagers, good support from Beseler, and parts are easy to get.

http://www.oresteen.com/bess23c.htm
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin