Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,847   Online: 1164

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

2500 or so posts and I'm just getting around to printing. Ok. Played hookie today. Mixed chems. Set up enlarger et al. Selected neg. Turned out lights. Turned on enlarger. Look in focuser. I see nothing. What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 04-30-2009 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After 2,500 posts, you know the drill. More information please!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    sometimes there is a cover over the mirror that needs removing.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not even light? Is there a cover over the mirror that has to be flipped back? Did you roughly focus with your eye first?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Ok. Focus by eye first. When I look into grain focuser there is light and I see the focus bar (?) But nothing of the projected neg to focus on.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    possibles:

a) need to adjust eyepiece so line is crisp
    2) needs to be near the middle of the print area
    c) depends upon magnification & size of negative -- 35mm enlarged to 8x10, as you adjust focus, grain SUDDENLY pops into view like a slap in the face. From 4x5 not so much.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Then I will get to fiddling with the focus til I get it. Thanks, all.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try to place your finder along an edge of light /dark in the image to give you a contrast to help assess what's going on. Also you may have to make sure your eye is aligned correctly.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a Paterson, focus the eyepiece on the double line with the image well out of focus. The eye's accommodation can show both the image and the line in focus if you aren't careful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're using a slow 50asa film and not enlarging it much, then actually seeing the grain can be difficult. In these circumstances look for high contrast detail in the image itself, dark lines on pale backgrounds etc. and focus on them instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin