Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,068   Online: 948

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black borders

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, and I've got lenses in 5mm increments and 15 different-format backs for my camera just so I don't have to crop in the darkroom...

Uh, except when I want format 16 or really love the view between 205mm and 210mm....

I compose my work very carefully, and each image has its own, self-dictated, format and dimensions. Limiting myself to 4x5, 6x6, etc. and printing full-frame would just compromise my careful composing. I crop, and I view it as one of the most useful creative tools in my bag. I print with more image than I need and trim each image with a paper cutter to the precise dimensions.

And (getting back to the original topic), that is one reason why I do not like black borders. I don't want to prove that I composed "in-camera," nor do I want to have it seem so (I, too, think it is pretentious). Nor do I think that the black border is aesthetically pleasing. More important is matching the white of the mount board to the tone of the base of the paper one uses. Black borders, for me, detract from the blacks in the print, making them look washed out. White borders do the same for print whites, but for some reason this seems more manageable by choice of board, printing, and judicious edge burning.

Sorry for being off-topic a bit, but I couldn't resist...

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=BetterSense;791623]I tend to not like leaving plain white borders, especially when a light area of the image (like the sky) runs right to the edge of the print. QUOTE]

You may be trying to solve the wrong problem. If you burn in your sky more there will be a grey tone that stops at the white border. If it is difficult with the same over all filter, try 0 or 00 for the burn. Search here for Les McLean on split grade printing. If you can't do this you may need to increase your exposure when you shoot the picture or add a filter to darken the sky-clouds. Try bracketing by two stops in this situation and see if it is easier to print the negative.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 05-01-2009 at 10:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I spent hours filing my negative carriers to get the full-frame with black border effect. My mentor from years ago explained that this technique "proved" to all that no cropping was employed in making the print.
    Years ago is the key here. Today someone on another forum would just put a black border on in Photoshop.

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Another solution is shoot a bigger negative and then contact print. The border is always black and people keep asking why you print it black and what are those funny looking notches at one end?

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Another solution is shoot a bigger negative and then contact print. The border is always black and people keep asking why you print it black and what are those funny looking notches at one end?

John
    You know John, I always meant to ask you about that ...
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
    You know John, I always meant to ask you about that ...
    Jeff, we are having a remedial workshop on just that question, first thing at the NE Ohio, Bi-Monthly, May 30-31, 2009 Gathering at the Powers’ House

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Jeff, we are having a remedial workshop on just that question, first thing at the NE Ohio, Bi-Monthly, May 30-31, 2009 Gathering at the Powers’ House

John
    Excellent! I hope we will cover the Photoshop filters used to create this effect - my Canon point & shoot doesn't seem to have a black border option in the menu ...

- Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have to have a black border you can always make a film holder for your enlarger that is just slightly larger than the image but still holds the film. That will give a black around the image. I remember, I think, that Bessler had something called a full frame negative holder. As to whether you crop or not, well that is a matter of aesthetics.
    my best
    Michel

Shooter
    35mm
    If I recall correctly Robert Vonk of Fotohuis used to sell a thing called a Versamask which was a metal easel with very accurate metal masks for 6x4, 5x7 10x8 etc which gave a penline as thin a 1mm on the edge of the print. Not cheap however.

It looked a very easy and convenient way of doing it without any skill required. Such easy and convenient ways always come at a price - usually quite a large one.

Someone with access to a laser cutter, even one only able to do plastic such as schools have could create such an easel or easels

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilfochrome will give you black boarders I believe
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin