Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,606   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Richard: My timer's firmware version is 8.3 and my enlarger is a dichroic Saunders LPL 670MXL.
    Last edited by tbm; 05-03-2009 at 09:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm View Post
    Richard: Aren't these two comments contradictory?

"The timer clearly has no knowledge of what filtration you're using."
    "On a dichro head set max Y when using ch.1 and max M for ch.2."
    No. The timer does not know what filters you're using. It's up to you to change the enlarger filtration, there is no information feedback from the enlarger to the timer, nor does the timer itself control the filtration. The usual way to split print is to make two exposures, one through a soft (max Y 0 M) filter and one through a hard (0 Y max M) filter. We suggest you use ch.1 for the soft exposure and ch.2 for the hard in which case in split-grade mode the firmware prompts you when you change channels to set soft or hard filtration appropriately. That's all. The later firmware also computes a notional grade based on the ratio of the two channels and assuming you're using Ilford filters; for dichroic heads this is unlikely to be accurate but it doesn't matter, it's the result on the paper that's important. Changing the soft exposure mostly affects the exposure and is useful for setting the highlight density, changing the hard exposure mostly affects the contrast and is useful for setting the shadow density.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    Changing the soft exposure mostly affects the exposure and is useful for setting the highlight density, changing the hard exposure mostly affects the contrast and is useful for setting the shadow density.
    As far as the "mostly" goes ... the soft exposure is not much effected by the hard exposure when making a soft print (ie from a hard negative); and vice-versa with hard prints when the hard exposure is not effected by the soft exposure.

The dividing line is when the hard and soft exposures are roughly equal when using Ilford 00 & 5 filters.

If you are printing soft negatives you may want to use the hard filtration as the 'exposure control' first channel and the soft filtration as the 'contrast control' second channel. This becomes more important with softer and softer negatives.

The order, of course, makes no difference to the final print, it's only a matter of more intuitive control over split grade printing.

Most printers find this much too confusing and do all prints soft/hard and just muddle on through with the occasional very soft negative.

See 'Way Beyond Monochrome' for more information.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Richard: Can my StopClock Professional be upgraded to the current firmware version by sending it to you? If so, how much does it cost to upgrade it and can the most current user manual be sent back to me with the timer?

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm View Post
    Richard: Can my StopClock Professional be upgraded to the current firmware version by sending it to you? If so, how much does it cost to upgrade it and can the most current user manual be sent back to me with the timer?

Terry
    No need to send it back Terry, it's user-upgradeable by means of a new processor chip, and you can order on-line here. A new manual is part of the upgrade but meanwhile if you want to you can download a copy from the web site.
    Regards,
    Richard.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Richard, what is the cost of the new chip for my StopClock Professional in U.S. dollars (your site only shows it in Euro dollars)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on the exchange rate when you buy. Currently 25 GBP is approx $37.
    Regards,
    Richard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin