Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,248   Online: 806
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dedham, Ma, USA
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Posts
    625
    [QUOTE=Christopher Walrath;793171] If you turn on the enlarger to compose another print you lose the safelight for placing paper on the easel until after the timer has run out.

    QUOTE]

    Or just use the toggle switch without running the timer, to turning the enlarger on/off.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

  2. #12
    BetterSense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,862
    Hows the homemade meter?
    Very good! It's not a proper meter, but a comparator. It basically has a bar graph with a 4-stop total range in 1/4-stop steps, and a sensitivity dial. You plop it on your paper, adjust the graph to some middle value then you can use it to compare brightnesses for changing between print sizes. The photodiode is a very small point so it's easy to compare using say, someone's forehead.

  3. #13
    RJS
    RJS is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern Cal
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    246
    Dodging and burning are a whole lot easier with the safe light off. I tried having it on and coiuldn't see the image on the paper nearly as well. I can't imagine a reaon for wanting it on while exposing the paper.

  4. #14
    AshenLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    156
    I use the RH Designs ZoneMaster enlarging meter and it will not give a proper reading with the safelights on. I have it connected to their StopClock Pro and it controls the safelights while I'm taking readings.

    Ash

  5. #15
    BetterSense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,862
    I think what I will do is make another, dim safelight and plug it in to the wall straight and have my current bright safelight only be on when the enlarger is off. That way when the enlarger is on, I can still see at least a little bit.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,060
    it is funny, i thought it was one of those things that the timer companies did just to confuse everyone ...
    i have light outlet and a pull string for my safelight ( always on, unless film is out ) and have never had trouble burning and dodging
    with the light on ... i have had trouble burning/dodging when i make contact prints .. it is a 300 watt bulb and it is sometimes hard to get used to
    to (burning + dodging) with so much light ...

    sorry for being so clueless, but why would someone need an enlarger meter ?
    to check the evenness of light cast down from the enlarger ?
    ... or to help give a better understanding where to start a test strip at ?
    im empty, good luck

  7. #17
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,060
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    it is funny, i thought it was one of those things that the timer companies did just to confuse everyone ...
    Or plug your enlarger into that outlet and when you turn the enlarger on, the power supply will turn it off!

    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woonsocket, RI USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry for being so clueless, but why would someone need an enlarger meter ?
    to check the evenness of light cast down from the enlarger ?
    ... or to help give a better understanding where to start a test strip at?
    Both of those, but mostly the latter. They can also help determine the required contrast for a negative -- you meter separately off of the highlights and shadows, and use a little dial/calculator thing to determine the contrast grade.

    At least, that's the theory. I've used a couple of enlarger meters, and I've found that they steer me wrong more often than they steer me right. Maybe mine are dodgy or maybe I'm using them wrong, though. Either way, I've stopped using them.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Or plug your enlarger into that outlet and when you turn the enlarger on, the power supply will turn it off!

    Steve



    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Both of those, but mostly the latter. They can also help determine the required contrast for a negative -- you meter separately off of the highlights and shadows, and use a little dial/calculator thing to determine the contrast grade.

    At least, that's the theory. I've used a couple of enlarger meters, and I've found that they steer me wrong more often than they steer me right. Maybe mine are dodgy or maybe I'm using them wrong, though. Either way, I've stopped using them.

    thankfully i haven't been there yet
    im empty, good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin