Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,077   Online: 1168

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

newbie needs help with enlarger

after almost a year shooting film again, i crossed with a guy selling an old meopta opemus 6x6 and went for it. i've looked on meota website, but could not precise the year or model of it... maybe they changed names to sell in brazil?

anyway... it took me a long time to clean it properly, replace the cables and switches, and also buy all the other things needed - lamps, trays, paper, etc.

now what is holding me is the lens... and i need your help on that.

the lens that came with it is a belar 75mm f4.5, and it is hazy... i took it to my repairman, and he said he could not get rid of the haze. even on simple tests i feel a lack of sharpness - films with huge grain and i can see none, details i can see with my loupe but not on the enlarger... disappointing enough to make me stop and reconsider...

there is no way i can find/afford a better enlarger over here. so i think i've married with this one!

all i need to know are the options...

1. wich lenses have this odd 23.5mm thread? is there a list somewhere?
    2. how easy it is to make another lens board, with a proper m39 thread? is it even possible?

i've been searching and emailing a lot about this matter. even got in contact with fotoimpex in berlin, but they have not the lens board i need. right now i'm watching ebay - see if some 75-80mm lenses with this thread will show up there.

well, thank you very much... you can imagine how i'm itching to start the damn thing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CRW_3788.jpg   CRW_3813.jpg   IMG_3786.jpg   IMG_3787.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

According to this manual for a slightly newer Opemus 6 Standard they made 4 lenses with that smaller M23.5 x 0.5 thread:

Belar 4.5/50 #392 812 110 262 (that you have now, but hazy)
    Anaret 4.5/50 #392 812 10 239 (don't confuse with Anaret S that has Leica M39 thread)
    Anaret 4.5/30 #392 812 110 271
    Anaret 4.5/80 #392 812 110 245 (don't confuse with Anaret S that has Leca M39 thread)

I'd search the internet for one of those. I think the later enlargers used a larger lensboard that may not fit your enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schneider Componons came in that thread as well. Also it wouldn't be difficult to bore and rethread that lens board for a 39mm lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I believe there is an adapter for that which allows one to use 39mm lenses.
    As Bob-D659 says, however, it might be possible to bore out the lens board. It might not have to be threaded if there is enough room for a jam nut.

Your enlarger brings back memories. We had one in the college darkroom where I spent far too much time in the early 1960s. It's really a capable enlarger.

I believe the Schneider thread is 25 mm.

Let us know how you make out.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    i have a fujimoto enlarger im waiting for that i bought,but i dont know what the make of it is,it has a big round bell shaped head,its an older enlarger,it also has a base board with dials and cords plugged into it,the base board is some kind of component to the enlarger,can anyone let me know what kind of enlarger make this is?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may think me crazy.. but consider:
    disassemble the enlarger to remove the lens board from the bellows and rail

Make a rough bore out of the lens board, using the type of stepped sheet metal drill an electrican uses to drill conduit connectrs into enclosures where there is no hole. They are eminently suited to enlarging existing holes in thinish metal

If you cant find one of those then carve a wooden plug to fill the existing hole to allow you to start a pilot bit, and use a metal hole saw to enlarge the hole to the size of the hole saw.

Then file down any sharp burs, and mould the holder for the new lens diameter out of 'Fimo' modelling clay from an artists supply store.

It dries very hard, can be fixed in place if it slips using hot glue, and is more than strong enough for the task. If you live in a very humid place, consider baking it slowly, and then spray acylic coat it to prevent it from re-absorbing mositure.

It will not be the prettiest, but with an over coat of paint, it will never be noticed once you are done.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Bob-D's solution of just having the hole enlarged. It's quick & easy and there's certainly enough metal there. If you can't do it yourself there should be a machine shop somewhere in Brazil that could do it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enlarging the hole on that lensboard? Are you guys kidding. Thats going to leave him with a little ring of 5mm of metal. I would not recommend destroying your only lensboard. Look for a 25.5 mm x 0.5 lens. Also, some types of hazyness DO clean off. I'd not give up on that lens you have until I had disassembled it and tried cleaning all the surfaces. If the haze is going to come off, it will come off very easily. If it does not come off easy, then the glass or coating has been etched by the fungus and its not going to get any better with cleaning.

Here are some new lenses in M25 (expensive, but just an example of what to look for)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cSubmit=Submit

Here is one for $35:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ging_Lens.html
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-05-2009 at 02:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I had one of those lenses in my youth - really horrid: all plastic barrel, square-hole 2-blade diaphragm, elements held in place by melting the plastic barrel. $35, hah, 35 cents would be asking too much.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi cleber figueiredo, I have a Schneider componon 1:5.6/ 80mm lens with this 23.5mm thread.
    It was salvaged from a machine printer so has no click stops. The aperture range is 5.6 to 22.
    If you want you can have this lens for £9 to cover post and packing from the UK. (Royal Mail International Signed For service).
    PM me if you are interested.
    Last edited by yellowcat; 05-05-2009 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin