Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,867   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Newbie question #1: Ilford MG FB glossy vs matte

I need to fill up 2 walls in my living room with pictures. Just ordered Ilford Multigrade fiber based matte paper but have some Ilford MG FB glossy paper left over that I want to use for "practice" exposures. If I get the exposure I am happy with using the glossy, can I use the same time/contrast settinigs on the matte to get the same results?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Chai View Post
    I need to fill up 2 walls in my living room with pictures. Just ordered Ilford Multigrade fiber based matte paper but have some Ilford MG FB glossy paper left over that I want to use for "practice" exposures. If I get the exposure I am happy with using the glossy, can I use the same time/contrast settinigs on the matte to get the same results?
    No.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    No.
    While the answers "No" it will give you valuable experience and practice.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Chai View Post
    Hi,
    no those two papers can't be exposed using the same time. Both are different so you should make a test stripes to obtain a proper time for an exposure.

regards,
    Slawek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another "no." You can't even count on the same paper but from different batch numbers to be the same. I've seen different batches of the same paper vary by as much as 1/3 stop. Start with the same emulsion on a different substrate and now there are two variables that have changed. You'll need to test. There's no way around it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The upside is that you might get a good general idea of how you want to print those particular negatives. Then you can translate that experience to the new paper.
    Matt Allard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. Thought it was too good to be true.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    as I mentioned in my own thread I did some printing again after a 20 year gap and tried some different papers and the reason why you have to test for each paper is that paper, like film, has its own 'speed'.....so no two papers will ever be alike.....well, non have been in my experience anyway.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I should warn you that the Multigrade Fiber Base (not Warmtone) Matte is very, very matte... it's matte to the point where I had difficulty telling which side was the emulsion! In case you don't know, with FB the paper will always (AFAIK) curl towards the emulsion wide. I wish I knew that when I used this paper!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    I should warn you that the Multigrade Fiber Base (not Warmtone) Matte is very, very matte... it's matte to the point where I had difficulty telling which side was the emulsion! In case you don't know, with FB the paper will always (AFAIK) curl towards the emulsion wide. I wish I knew that when I used this paper!
    Yep. Tell me about it. I wasted three whole sheets and a litre of good developer before I could figure it out what was going on. But hey, it's a wonderful paper, although I remember it being a whole lot less white when I last used it.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin