Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,525   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a thought have you tried to processing unexposed paper? This would tell you if it is something with the paper..it may seem wasteful but it would save the frustration of having to remake the image and if it is the paper perhaps you can determine if something happened to it or if it just a bad batch. Had something like this happen with Ilford, but did not show up until after the print was complete and then toned..keep us posted on what you find.
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    I've uploaded an image showing the stain to the Technical gallery.

I will check the safelight to see if the paper gets any exposure from it. I can try developing a couple of unexposed papers as well.

The darkroom is always the same one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Images
    OK I will immerse the prints faster.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll keep in mind the things that have been mentioned and I'll let you know how I have fared.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your use of the word "float" when describing the print in the developer makes me wonder if you are not agitating vigerously enought. I slosh the developer around creating a pretty good wave.

I have "The Photographer" the Weston documentary. He held his double-weight paper on one end and slid it under the developer with one motion. He then rocked the tray rather vigerously.

juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    After seeing your print in the Tech Gallery, I believe Aggie has the correct diagnosis. It is clearly not light leaks or fingerprints. I have had similar effects with depleted developer. What developer concentration and temperature do you employ?

dr bob.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I concur with Aggie.

With RC paper it probably is not enough agitation and getting the print fully emerged. Remember, if you develop RC for 1 minute and part of the print does not begin devloping for 6 seconds, you have a 10% reduction is development. One easy way to test is to leave a print in for 2 or three minutes and see if the spots develop out.

My procedure (with fiber based) is to start the paper face down, with the tray lifted so when I place the sheet in the tray and as I set the tray down a wave of developer quickly covers the print. Then I rock the tray from a couple of different corners and then flip the print over after about 30 seconds, and continue constant agitation for the prescribed time for that paper and developer combo.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    What developer concentration and temperature do you employ?
    Ilford Multigrade 1:9 at 20C.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matej
    Looks to me like a classic case of uneven print development as Aggie has said. I would look at you technique when first immersing the print into the tray. It is essential to get the whole surface submerged without air pockets. Somebody suggested the rocking of the tray first and immersing the print in the wave of dev. Give it a try and make sure you have enough developer to fill the tray to at least 1 cm deep as well
    Good luck

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Images
    I've done some printing yesterday with a fresh developer with a longer prescribed time (2 minutes), faster immersion and more vigorous agitation, and there were no stains (using the same batch of paper as before). I think there's reason for optimism

Thank you everyone for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin