Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,644   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Cross Processed Negs + Enlarging In Color Help

So, I'm pretty new at this whole darkroom thing. And young too. A few days ago was my first time in a color darkroom, and I was getting the hang of it. I made tons of prints and contact prints which were all a breeze.

So I decided I'd try my cross processed negs that I had brought with me. Without thinking too much, just to see how it'd turn out, I put all the dials to zero. And made a contact print. It was very very red and yellow, when it should have been very green because my negs were a yellow to ornage color.

So, people with more experience: maskless negs, how should they be printed? :[
    Last edited by fiducio; 05-10-2009 at 07:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also, I know that since the normal c41 negs have the orange mask, does that mean that the color paper has a sensitivity to those colors to make it normal colors?
    And, let's say if I dial out magenta and yellow completely, and put in a B&W negative, how would it turn out?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Set your filters to zero, try it and find out. Don't forget to compensate for the needed decrease in exposure time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did do that...

C=0,M=0,Y=0 made yellow prints...
    when adding cyan, it made it even more yellow...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes the paper expects a mask.

How they should be printed is up to you. It's not like they will look "normal" so you've got the creative control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    0M/0Y is always an *extremely* warm print that is nowhere close to "neutral". Try printing your initial test prints at the filtration recommended on your paper box. That should be "neutral" for your paper, in theory, given an enlarger bulb of the perfect color temperature and brand new filters. For Kodak, this is 65M/55Y.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-11-2009 at 01:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Alright... I'll do that next time.
    I'm just wondering where neutral is for the paper when the film doesn't have an orange mask. They range from light yellow to purple, and trying to find the neutral point seems like it might be tricky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to do this alot for customers, back in the ninties, and the filtrations typically were very high, 100 mag, 130 yellow, and sometimes I needed to add some extra using either the built in dichroic, or a filter gell. Another way to help is to put a piece of clear orange film base under the diffusor, and this will help to get your filter numbers back to a more managable level. The film base will add density, so you'll have to compensate, I think one to one and a half stops extra, but as I said its' been a long time!
    Keith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by filmnut View Post
    Another way to help is to put a piece of clear orange film base under the diffusor, and this will help to get your filter numbers back to a more managable level. The film base will add density, so you'll have to compensate, I think one to one and a half stops extra, but as I said its' been a long time!
    Keith
    I'm curious - have you ever tried using a piece of C41 film instead of an orange filter?

I do a lot of color printing but have never tried printing cross processed film. I often print with a friend of mine who seems to work a lot with cross processed film and would like to pass on any pointers to him that I could.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One way to go about it is to pick a 'standard' filter pack as a starting point. If the paper box doesn't have one listed 50y 50m is a good place to start. Do a test strip and just aim for density; after you have nailed density make filter adjustments (if the image is really red add equal parts y&m, green subtract M and so on); as you get closer to the colour balance you are after you will find you may need to add or subtract time. After a few tests like this you'll get a properly balanced print. It could be that 0y, 0m will be a winner or 0m, 100y, 10c will be the winner -- with xprocessed films it is generally not a standard filter pack. I've never found the orange mask thing to be too helpful, but others have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin