Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,713   Online: 785

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Have you checked out your darkroom light for this new paper?

It sounds like the paper is fogged a bit, no deep blacks etc. Yes, the paper is much slower then Ilford MG FB.
    Isn't this one of the papers that requires a red safelight?
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Chai View Post
    I like developers that have a long shelf life since I don't get to print that often. What developer would work well with this paper and still store well?
    I'm not sure if it works any better or worse with Fotokemika papers than other developers, but I've found DS-14 lasts a good long time. I use it with its matched replenisher. It takes me a few months to work through 1 liter of replenisher (I also use working solution in 1-liter quantities), and I've never noticed any change in working properties. For a while I made regular test prints to track this. IIRC, I went through two full replenishments before I stopped tracking it.

DS-14 is the mix-it-yourself predecessor to the commercial Silvergrain Tektol. I've tried Tektol, and it works much like DS-14, but I can't speak to Tektol's longevity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    Isn't this one of the papers that requires a red safelight?
    Yes, it definitely does that!

I agree with Peter Schrager that Varycon is exceptional paper. A paper developer that lasts a very long time, and can even be replenished is Ethol LPD. It's fantastic stuff, and replenished it will last practically forever.

But you really have to tweak your negatives to eek the maximum out of the paper. There are some serious blacks to be had with this paper. Further, if you bleach it back slightly with dilute bleach, (1:10, Kodak Sepia = potassium ferricyanide + bromide), for about two minutes, and then dunk in the sepia bath, you can get some really glowing highlights.

Good luck, and make sure you use a red safelight! You will not get good prints unless you do. The orange OC one will not do.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Sorry Thomas....not quite clear....might you go over the bleach and the sepia sequence and chemicals again....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very simple. Get the Kodak sepia kit. Mix the bleach, mix the toner.
    Dilute the bleach with water 1:10. Bleach fixed and washed print for two minutes. Wash thoroughly. Dunk in sepia toner for about a minute. Wash thoroughly.
    You'll see a slight warming to the highlights. Beautiful!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

matre Varycon

I've used it and it is good...these are issues the individual needs to see for themselves....a really great matte paper is the foma 132 and it is not cheap but it reminds me of the forte semi-matte that is gone now....everyone here owes it to themselves to try these papers an SEEEE what they are like
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Use Ansco 130 1:1...extremely long life.

And give that print some time in the tray. Two minutes is way too short, even for Ilford!
    Pvia, Are you refering to 2 min in Ansco 130 1:1 ? How long do you let your print in the developer? 3min or more? I also use A130 so I am curious

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually give it at least 3 minutes in 1:1, and depending on what you're after, sometimes longer. Of course, this all works together with printing grade and exposure...but don't be afraid of leaving it in there to get a sumptuously rich print with great color and tone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Chai View Post
    I like developers that have a long shelf life since I don't get to print that often. What developer would work well with this paper and still store well?

Has anyone used the matte version?
    Two Fotokemika Varycon VC FB Matte examples. I really like this paper. It reminds me of charcoal drawings. Dektol.
    Last edited by DannL; 09-08-2009 at 12:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use Zone VI print developer with Varycon and its sister paper, EMAKS, also sold by Freestyle. Both require longer development -- I always go at least three minutes, sometimes four, especially if I'm using Selectol as well to control contrast.

Efke papers are awesome, best in the world as far as I'm concerned. I use them all the time now and the price is excellent!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin