Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,855   Posts: 1,582,950   Online: 981

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    (jumping in a little late . . )

just pushed some little sheets of this through the darkroom last night.. . and despite the red safelight, my blacks seem muddy at best. .. .
    I'm developing for 4 min in dektol...

I was reading over the spec sheet that comes with it and noticed that it said "15-30 sec in stop bath, this helps reduce (eliminate?) the yellow fog.." . . . has anyone else experienced this yellow fog?

going to go back to the DR and try again tonight... longer stays in the stop... and hope that my blacks clear up.

???

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FYI - I found Varycon to be exactly as you describe...using red led safelights and a long time in the developer. It has an interesting look as a lith print, but I couldn't get good blacks. I'm sure it is a great paper in the right hands....but clearly not mine!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have no problem getting deep blacks with Varycon....using zone VI dev 1:2 the blacks come up nicely...make your dev stronger to begin with folks!!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weak blacks... The Varycon paper is capable of very deep and rich blacks. No question about it. When I see weak blacks in any paper I immediately look at the developer. If the developer is still fresh and works well with a different paper, I look at the safelight. I process a print in the dark (since it's time developed anyway), and see if the result is the same.
    Usually it's been the developer or a safelight that's not safe.

As I stated in an earlier post, I use Ethol LPD. Replenished. I printed some today on this paper, and I got very strong blacks. If I were you in having problems with the paper, perhaps some trouble shooting would be in order?

Good luck,

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, thanks so much, I am sooooo new to all of this. I was told by analog photographers with much more experience than myself to try non variable contrast papers because I could get better tone, so I went to B&H and bought some of the 16X20 Varycon, a pack of #2 and #3. I've already used up all the #3 and am working my way throught the #2. I don't have enough experience to know what to expect and so I thought the old time look (muddy and a bit grainy) was due to my blowing up 35mm to 16x20. At the school we have orange-ish safety lights, not red. Now I know. I am browsing the B&H site right now for some good VC 16x20 paper and I guess I wont be able to buy emaks, verycon whatever other name it has, paper for now.

I've been told that Berger is the best and by the prices I see, I am guessing that is true.

I also bought some of the 11x14 Varycon, one pack of glossy and one of matte, and they both seem to be ok, but again I didn't know what to expect. I have noticed that the ilford 11x14 matte that I have is much nicer and so I use that and not the Varycon, now I know why. Thanks.

Any advices on paper are welcomed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Right now I'm looking at a pack of 50 sheets of MULTIGRADE IV RC DELUXE for $125 including s/h off of eBay in either Glossy, pearl or satin. Is that a good deal? It seems so. Although I've used pearl and satin, I still can't quite put my finger on what the difference is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    must be 16x20

Shooter
    35mm
    It is.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used this paper (VC) and had some very good results. My notes are- that it must be used with a red safelight, that it is a little slower than modern style papers, that it must be developed to completion - 3 or more minutes as unlike some modern papers, it has no incorporated "developers", that it is soft by nature, negatives that are taylored to pd/pd print very nicely on this silver paper, that it responds well to split grade printing, that at one time I suspected it was the same as ADOX Vario Classic (no longer, another fine paper, perhaps my favorite) and that it gives me the very best blacks with a few minutes in KRST, and they are very black indeed...

Here is some pudding...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leaveswb2-298x386[1].jpg   gsl3-311x237[1].jpg  
    Last edited by JBrunner; 11-14-2009 at 12:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice prints indeed.

mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin