Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,160   Online: 760

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fotokemika Varycon VC FB glossy

Just started printing and had some Fotokemika Varycon VC FB glossy to compare it to my usual Ilford MG FB glossy. The Fotokemika seems very slow (3-4 times) and needs much more contrast (3.5 as opposed to 2.0 ) to get an image I like. I also can't get the deep blacks. Is this just the paper characteristic or is there additional technique involved. I am using Ilford MG paper developer. The glossy seems matte-like in comparison to Ilford FB papers. Has anyone used the Fotokemika matte papers? How does it compare?

Also, according to the description on the Freestyle webpage, I tend to agree that the images look "old style" or is my opinion biased based on the ad?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Varycon

indeed this paper has the old time look to it...that's what makes it special
    you have to dial in your negatives to work with it but I always develop for a grade 3 contrast level with my fuji acros and never have any problem either with a grade 3 or vc paper....your negs do not have enough contrast...believe me there are some major blacks in this paper....to me this is the best paper out there right now....make some negs with some extra contrast and reprint...
    you will be suprised at what this paper is capable of....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you checked out your darkroom light for this new paper?

It sounds like the paper is fogged a bit, no deep blacks etc. Yes, the paper is much slower then Ilford MG FB.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am using the red safelight not the orange OC so I think that issue is covered. How long should I let it sit in my Ilford MG developer? Usually, I let my Ilford MG FB prints sit for 2 minutes. Does the Varycon need more time and will it improve the blacks?

By the way, my Ilford MG developer has turned rust colored (opened it about 8 months ago and used half). It still worked on my Ilford paper so I used it on the Varycon as well.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, try to develop longer and in fresh developer. Some papers react more to exhausted developer than others.
    I have no experience with Ilford MG developer, might be that a traditional developer is a better choice for this paper.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Varycon is a great paper! Yes, it does need AT LEAST 3 minutes in the developer to get good blacks... but then!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like developers that have a long shelf life since I don't get to print that often. What developer would work well with this paper and still store well?

Has anyone used the matte version?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Tetenal Variospeed or Moersch products... or my own brews!
    I use both glossy and matte (very matte) surfaces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use Ansco 130 1:1...extremely long life.

And give that print some time in the tray. Two minutes is way too short, even for Ilford!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your suggestions. Since Kodak Dektol is easy to get for me (and cheap), would it work well with this paper and would there be any difference compared to fresh Ilford MG developer if I let it sit long enough? What dilution?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin