Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,903   Online: 924

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bulb for Beseler 23 and 67 Dichroic heads

My printing times are too long (up to 4 minutes for an 11x 14 6x6 negative).

Using a new 82 volt, 85 watt bulb currently (bought it from B&H Photo as a recommended accessory on their site for my model enlarger). On the Freestyle site, there is also an 82 volt, 300 watt bulb. Can I use this higher watt bulb in the enlarger? What does volts mean. I think watts refers to the amount of brightness in general. Will using the higher watts bulb hurt the enlarger or my negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 67SC/67SD enlargers take the 80W 82V bulb. The 23 Dual Dichroic head takes lamp EJL which is 24V 200W. I would not interchange them.

Volts = electrical potential. Watts = power (light and heat). You will melt something by using the 300Watt bulb.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 05-11-2009 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lawrence.
    A lamp is designed to run on a specific voltage. In your case 82V for the 67 series enlarger or 24V for the 23C. You cannot interchange the lamps, the lamp for the 23C blow out immediately if installed in the 67 and the lamp from the 67 would barely light.
    The Wattage is the amount of both light and heat the bulb will deliver. The higher Wattage will result in more light AND more heat. It's possible that 300W is too much for your enlarger. There should be a data plate on the enlarger that tells you a maximum Wattage and that is what you can use safely. Higher than that and you may start melting things like mixing boxes and any plastic parts near the lamp.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks ic-racer

Then I am using the wrong bulb in the Beseler 23 Dual Dichro head. Will using a 24V 200W bulb give off brighter light?
    Do you know where I can get an EJL 24V/200W bulb? Freestyle does not carry them and at B&H, it is a special order item that takes 2-4 weeks to get. I thought the Beseler 23 Dual Dichro was a common enlarger but am curious as to why the bulb is so hard to get.

Is the bulb at this website OK? http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...roductID=43874

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm.

My 23cII dual dichro head takes a 250W 82v EVW bulb. At least that's the bulb that was in it when it came back from Beseler service.

It might help if you tell us which version of the 23 you have, as I think that heads are not completely interchangeable in that series.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also try http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ also buy a new socket at the same time. They do wear out quickly and cause all sorts of problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Softie View Post
    Hmmm.

My 23cII dual dichro head takes a 250W 82v EVW bulb. At least that's the bulb that was in it when it came back from Beseler service.

It might help if you tell us which version of the 23 you have, as I think that heads are not completely interchangeable in that series.
    Here is a manual showing the 200w bulb. Though, thats not to say they did not make any changes during the period of production. If I were uncertain I'd go with the lower wattage, though, an e-mail to Beseler service would probably give the correct answer.
    http://www.darkroompro.com/pdf/enlar...seler_dd23.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got 5 EYAs and a socket from this place: http://www.bulbdirect.com/ they have both EJL and EVW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought some spare bulbs for my 23C with a dichro head. They are 24v 200W (EJL). I bought mine from replacementlightbulbs.com for $5 each. They are listed as value bulbs. These are bulbs that were purchased from store closeouts, and are old stock, new in the box (tested). I found them on a google search when I wanted to order some bulbs. Real nice folks to deal with.

My 23C is the older "blue" model, as is the dichro head. I could be wrong, but I think the 23C dichro heads changed to an 82V bulb sometime after the "blue" models. I'm sure someone here can set me straight.

I use a "conical light integrator" with the dichro head since I like to use the condensers rather than diffusion. It focuses the light from the dichro head into a mixing chamber above the condensers. It seems to significantly brighten the image.

My printing times are as follows:
    8X10 from 35 or 6X6 10-20 sec for black and white
    8X10 from 35 or 6X6 3-5 sec for colour (damn that colour paper is fast)
    I usually print at about f8-f11
    Last edited by ricksplace; 05-11-2009 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't spell, can't type
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin