Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,341   Online: 914

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Big negs, small paper - which focal length lens?

Evening, all.

I recently got a box of 4x6 Ilford postcard paper and found a box of 5x7 RC tucked in my crisper drawer behind the carrots.

I'd very much like to take Todd Deutsch's advice and start printing/sending out, but I'm flummoxed as to which lens would be best to make prints this small from 6x6 and 6x7 negs.

I'm using a co-op darkroom with Bessler 23s for 6x6 and Im not sure which model but a huge enlarger with a motor drive for 6x7 as there are no 6x7 carriers for the Bessler 23 at IFP-MN.

Last time I tried printing 5x7, I had a bear of a time getting the head to where it could project the image that small. I usually use an 80mm lens, but that's only because what we always used in class. I'd be happy to change to get great results.

Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My d2 has a 135mm and a 2-1/2 cone for 4x5 negatives. I put a 6x6cm negative in and it projected a 3"x3" image with a lens-to-easel distance of 12-1/2". It looked sharp under the focuser, but i have never printed that small using this configuration.

Oh! oh! . . . Gotta go, the pizza is ready.
    Last edited by DannL; 05-23-2009 at 10:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a 150 or 135 that should give you plenty of room to work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With my Omega B8 I print as small as two up
    on 5x7, 3 1/2 x 5, using a 105mm. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A longer lens will give you more distance to the baseboard, longer printing times and more flexibility with dodging and burning (as much as that is possible with prints that small). Feel free to use a lens, as long as your enlarger supports it. The lens instruction will reveal what magnification factors it is optimized for.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Isn't it true that you can use a shorter-than-normal lens, and if you rack your bellows out far enough, you will get another focal plane, but with an image smaller than the negative?

I'm not sure if you are printing smaller than the negative or not, but it's worth thinking about.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Isn't it true that you can use a shorter-than-normal lens, and if you rack your bellows out far enough, you will get another focal plane, but with an image smaller than the negative?
    It is true: http://www.apug.org/forums/701679-post15.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post

I'm not sure if you are printing smaller than the negative or not, but it's worth thinking about.
    What enlarger would have a bellows long enough to do this? I always used a longer focal length lens, so easy.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    What enlarger would have a bellows long enough to do this? I always used a longer focal length lens, so easy.
    Most 8x10 enlargers. My 4x5s do it with short lenses to make real tiny images.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin