Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,855   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prints Fuzzy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Magna Sight magnifier. I just checked the record book and the enlarging lens was set at F16. I always check to ensure the image is sharp before I hit the switch but I guess its possible that I could have knocked it while doing something else since the darkroom is so small (bathroom). How would this explain prints being pin sharp in the rinse tub and not after drying??? (effects of dry down as stated above???)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]The Center for Desease Control just called. I have pegged the needle on their machines with this photography bug I have.[/FONT]

Michael J. Taylor

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    vibration might cause it. I used to live near a rail yard and would have to stop printing when they ran their trains. The ground moved.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I live in a quiet part of town so vibration doesnt factor in as far as I can tell. This still would not explain the sharp image in the water and not after drying.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]The Center for Desease Control just called. I have pegged the needle on their machines with this photography bug I have.[/FONT]

Michael J. Taylor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    sorry after I posted that I saw your post about i being sharp in the water. I vote drydown. Drydown will affect the contrast but not sharpness per-se. I would print it again and once you find a time where you like the contrast and density make another with about 10% less time. Then dry this print and see if it exhibits the same problem.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just finished reading Mr Mcleans article about drydown and will perform another test and print tomorrow night, it sounds simple enough although putting anything in the microwave at this house to speed up the drying process could come out smelling like pizza. I view the prints aggie in the bathroom in the same light that would be present if hanging on the wall and also view them after drying to see the same effect, not overly bright but not dark either

Michael J. Taylor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is an add on question for Mr Mclean, how would you factor in drydown on split filter printing? Reduce each exposure at the selected grade by a portion of the overall percentage? Do tests on only reducing the exposure on one filter?

Michael J. Taylor

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    2ldude,
    you are correct in your assumption. Just figure the drydown on both exposures.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the help. I will close the bathroom and open the darkroom tomorrow night and see what happens. I am going to take the neg and scan into photoshop and play with contrasts and dodging and burning to get an idea of what they all look like and then try to duplicate what I saw when I exposed the film

Michael J. Taylor

Are you using matte paper or any kind of textured surfaced paper?? if so, look no more...

Ray
    Do not question what you have not done, question what you will not try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin