Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,361   Online: 1177

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prints Fuzzy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can anyone tell me what is up with my prints?? While in the rinse tank they look pin sharp and after drying they look fuzzy and not anywhere near as sharp.

2Ldude

Images
    Can you post a scan?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Give me a minute to get scanner warmed up and I will do just that.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]The Center for Desease Control just called. I have pegged the needle on their machines with this photography bug I have.[/FONT]

Michael J. Taylor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pic is in the NonGallery as "Estes Park". The scan was small but represents what the print looks like now compared to sharpness while rinsing.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]The Center for Desease Control just called. I have pegged the needle on their machines with this photography bug I have.[/FONT]

Michael J. Taylor

Shooter
    Large Format
    What format camera was this taken with? (was it 35 mm, med format/120, or something else)?

Additionally there is an effect called "drydown" on a black and white print. The print darkens and dulls when it dries from what we perceive when the print is wet.

I believe that Les Mclean still has an article posted in the articles section that describe an excellent way to determine for yourself how to test and compensate for the effects of this on your paper.

Good luck.

Images
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Image was taken with Linhof Technica III with 300mm lense, FP4+ film, developed in PMK 1:1:100 (should have been 1:2:100 but thank god I was doing it by inspection), Forte FB Neutral tone paper in LPD mixed 1:2

I just printed the article about dry down and will read it later, I can see that I did not compensate enough for this effect but the article will help me learn more.

I have not noticed this fuzziness to this point or not to the extent that it ruined print, although I have forgotten prints go darker a time or two when dried.

Michael J. Taylor

Shooter
    Large Format
    The other thing that may have happened in this instance is that you may have encountered the effects of lens defraction. Do you recall what your aperture was for the exposure? I have found that wherever possible I don't go smaller then F32 with 4X5 equipment. Defraction becomes more noticeable as degree of enlargement increases.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe it was on F32 or F45. Looking at the contact print doesnt show any sign of the fuzziness the print gives. Would only enlarging to 8x10 from a 4x5 neg give this amount of defraction if the lens was stopped down ??????? Any other causes you can think of that I can research would be much appreciated.

Michael J. Taylor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin