Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,191   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon D. View Post
    Would alcohol be a safe alternative to use to clean the glass negative holder (instead of Windex)?
    If you are concerned about Windex residue, use distilled water to clean up after it. This is cheaper than alcohol.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Windex diluted down with distilled water, some paper towels and some canned air. NO dust or Newton Rings on my prints from last night. Regular old window glass. I've thought about getting some AR glass for this negative carrier, but so far I haven't needed it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0010.jpg   IMG_0007.jpg   IMG_0004.jpg  
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just obtained a 6x6 glass carrier for my 45MX. I have not used it yet, but one thing I have noticed is that one side makes contact first when closing it. The open side is about 1/8th open when the slide closest to the hinge makes contact.

In order to get it flat, it seems like a fair amount of pressure is needed...maybe more than I want to subject my negs to.....is this normal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I was in Costco the other day and bought one of their eyeglass cleaning kits (about $7) in large part because they have free refills. Don't know if it would be any better than Windex or not. Also, some time ago Consumers Report provided a "brew your own" recipe for glass cleaner:

16 oz Isopropyl Alcohol
    4 oz sudsy Amonia
    1 tsp dishwashing liquid
    Distilled Water to make 1 gal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still recommend to clean up after the clean-up with distilled water.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use an LPL C7700 MX with the Universal carrier which comes with 2 pieces of glass, the glass doesn't appear to be anti-Newton as I get rings with it. I ended up printing without the bottom glass, but this makes getting the negative flat hard work.

Does anybody know if there is an AN glass insert set available?

The only the other thing I can think of which would probably be an improvement is to buy the glassless mounts for the different sizes I use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulB View Post
    I use an LPL C7700 MX with the Universal carrier which comes with 2 pieces of glass, the glass doesn't appear to be anti-Newton as I get rings with it. I ended up printing without the bottom glass, but this makes getting the negative flat hard work.

Does anybody know if there is an AN glass insert set available?
    http://www.fpointinc.com/glass.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As an alternative to this conversation, has anyone got any experience with the Beseler Negaflat carrier for the 45? As I understand it, the thing grabs and pulls the negative flat.

How well does this work compared to glass? Certainly no rings, but how hard is it to get *FLAT*? Seems to me that it may be difficult to load compared to the sheet of glass. But I've never used one; I've merely watched them go by on that big auction site.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    As an alternative to this conversation, has anyone got any experience with the Beseler Negaflat carrier for the 45? As I understand it, the thing grabs and pulls the negative flat.
    We have a couple of those in our darkroom. They do keep the negative REALLY FLAT. There are two 'arms' that run the length of the 5-inch direction. The negative goes in underneath the arms, you swing the lever and this drops the arms down then pulls them outward about 1/8th inch.

I can see it scratching the outside edge of your negative very easily, but you're probably not going to print that part of it anyway. I'd never seen one until this year and although I like it 'in principal', in execution I think that a Plain-Jane mat-board negative carrier is superior and easier to use.

Just make your own if you have to deal with Newton Rings. They are easy and inexpensive to make and you can have a custom size in about 14 1/2 minutes.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use Everclear to clean glass holders. It is 95% ethanol and 5% water. It leaves no residue. Some commercial alcohols have additives to make them undrinkable that will leave residue. It is $6.00 for 200 ML and lasts a long time.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin