Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,661   Online: 899

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Glass negative carriers

I am setting up a darkroom with an Omega 4x5 enlarger and have glassless negative holders. I do 120 film, possible 4x5 in the future, and consider adding an anti-newton ring glass holder which would fit all formats. Do these offer any significant advantage if negatives are not warped? Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They will hold the negative perfectly flat which is a good thing.

The bad thing is that you now have 4 more surfaces which can hold dust and cause you a headache.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Should only be 2 suraces, glass on top, AN part touching neg. And yes, they do make a great deal of difference, especially in 4X5. If you have just one for all formats make a mask for each because of flare.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have had an old 4x5 negative carrier with new AN glass for some time, and never used it. Until I finally decided to try it a few weeks ago. As RJS said, I made a mask to use 120 film, and have had great success with it. I dust the glass surfaces before putting negatives in, and I have had no increase in dust problems whatsoever.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I too have tried glass negative carriers for 120 negative printing. I had great success. I couldn't get the negative flat in the standard holder, and doing this allowed me to include the border as well. I windexed the carrier before using it, let it dry, cleaned the film, and dusted everything before placing it in the enlarger. No dust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gedra View Post
    I am setting up a darkroom with an Omega 4x5 enlarger and have glassless negative holders. I do 120 film, possible 4x5 in the future, and consider adding an anti-newton ring glass holder which would fit all formats. Do these offer any significant advantage if negatives are not warped? Thank you.
    Printing without glass is like trying to win a 100-m race but stopping at the 99-m mark.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are four glass surfaces to keep clean, but that turns out to be a lot easier than it sounds. I have glass carriers for 120 and 4X5, and I like them. The glassless carriers hold the film decently flat, but the glass carriers are better, particularly when on difficult prints or production runs when you keep the negative under th light for a fairly long time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would alcohol be a safe alternative to use to clean the glass negative holder (instead of Windex)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Windex and similar glass cleaners are basically water, alcohol, and ammonia. Ammonia really helps in cleaning glass. Alcohol could be used, but it is more expensive than Windex. If you use alcohol, be careful that it doesn't leave a film on the glass - some alcohol preparations do. As long as the glass is completely dry and no alcohol remains on the glass, it can't harm the negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use Windex, microfiber cloths and a negative dust brush...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin