Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,146   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Schneider enlarging lenses

Has anyone any experience of the Schneider 50 f2.8 Comparon-S. I can't find any info about it on the web. Is it a 4 or 6 element lens. Also how would it compare with the 50 f2.8 El Nikkor. My long serving f4 El Nikkor has started to show fungus and clouding on the internal elements. So my preference is towards the Nikkor. I print no larger than 12x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David,

Try the Schneider Optics website:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Schneider made Comparons 4 elements and Componons 6 elements, they were optimised for different enlargement ranges but both were excellent lenses. I have both and it's almost impossible to spot the differences. The other Schneider site has better information.

The Componon S is the better lens for general use and would be a more apt replacement for the Nikkor.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you Andrew and Ian. Good info.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lingham View Post
    Has anyone any experience of the Schneider 50 f2.8 Comparon-S. I can't find any info about it on the web. Is it a 4 or 6 element lens. Also how would it compare with the 50 f2.8 El Nikkor. My long serving f4 El Nikkor has started to show fungus and clouding on the internal elements. So my preference is towards the Nikkor. I print no larger than 12x10.
    I've never seen a Comparon-S. I've only seen the "-S" designation on Componons (the 6-element). The Schneider web site also doesn't give any results for a "Comparon-S" search. Are you sure you read the label correctly?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

componar s info

Here's some info on the componar-s, and componon - s, I tried to upload the whole brochure but I guess it was too big a file
    regards
    erik
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The data sheets don't say whether the Componar-S is 4 element or 6, but looking at the comparative sizes and judging from the statement that this is Schneider's economy enlarging lens, I would guess that it is a 4 element design. Schneider lenses ar generally excellent, regardless of that. A good 6 element EL-Nikkor may be a somewhat better lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Erik, the Componar-S is quite a different lens to the Comparon-S, Schneider could have used a better naming scheme to differentiate between these lenses.

Componon & Componon S 6 elements.
    Comparon & Comparon S - 4 elements
    Componar S - 3 element - budget triplet lens

The Componar is actually a good performer despite being a triplet, corners sharpness isn't that good until stopped down and it was designed and sold as a budget lens.

Componons were made in all sizes up to 360mm, Comparons up to 300mm, but the Componar was restricted to 50/80/105mm.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again for all the replies. Moose, I couldn't find any info about a Comparon-S anywhere either, that's why I turned to you guys, and it never ceases to amaze me the depth of knowledge that exists here and how it is given so freely.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Get the Componon- s it is a slightly better lens than the Nikkor. I have had both and sold the nikkor once I tried the Componon-s. By the way I have tested the Schneider Conponon-S 50mm 2.8 against the Rodagon 50mm APO and the Schneider wins hands down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin